Sunday, April 1, 2012

~The Surprise Home Tour is Finally Revealed!!!!~

I am here to reveal the mystery artist whose home will be featured in the summer 2012 issue of A Primitive Place & Country Journal magazine.  We are very honored to announce that we will be featuring the home, studio, and shop of artist and designer, Dan DiPaolo!


I have been sitting on this secret for two years and let me tell you, there have been times that I was about ready to burst.  I wanted to share this information with people for so long, and I really appreciate the editor of A Primitive Place & Country Journal, Kristine Berg Doss, for allowing me to make this announcement. 


This feature started two years ago in the spring of 2010.  I had just started working for the magazine as a contributing writer, and we were looking for houses to photograph.  I had always been a fan of Dan DiPaolo’s work and I had emailed him a couple of times expressing my admiration for the work that he does.  To my surprise, he always returned my emails and was always very gracious.  I thought that featuring his home would be a wonderful addition to the magazine.
After talking to Kristine about it, I emailed Dan and asked him if he would be interested in having his home in the magazine.  He was very interested and he said that he and Jamey Berger who helps Dan run his freelance business, Dan DiPaolo Studios, were in the process of having a 1840s log cabin moved to their property to turn into an art studio.  He thought it would be a good idea for me to come and photograph the studio after it was completed.  I thought it was a great idea, so we decided to wait to do the feature.  Reassembling the log cabin and turning it into an art studio was a very long process.  It took Dan and Jamey a little over a year to complete it.


When the studio was completed I made arrangements with Dan to come and photograph his house, studio, and shop, Fried Green Tomatoes, in July of 2011.  On a hot July morning, I travelled to Burlington, Wisconsin to do the photo shoot that had been in the making for over a year.  I was very nervous when I arrived at the beautiful farm, but was immediately put at ease by Dan and Jamey.  They were both so welcoming and gave me access to every part of the farm. 

The first hour I was there, I think I was in shock.  I could not believe that I had just met an artist who I had admired for so long and I was photographing his farm.  The day went by all too quickly.  Before I left, I bought a wonderful birdhouse that Dan had for sale in his shop which was made by Rick LaChance.  Every time I look at the birdhouse, I am reminded of the wonderful day I spent at Dan and Jamey’s farm.

After I made the eight hour trip home, I probably talked to Jeff nonstop about everything I saw and what a wonderful experience it was.  Then I began waiting for the time to come to write the feature that would accompany the pictures that I took.  It has been a long process, but the end result is wonderful and I think that you all will really enjoy being invited into this perfectly decorated home, art studio, and shop.

 Dan’s homes have been featured in other magazines, but A Primitive Place & Country Journal is the first magazine to ever photograph Dan’s studio.  What an amazing honor!
 
I would like to thank Dan DiPaolo and Jamey Berger for being so gracious and welcoming and allowing me to come and photograph their beautiful farm.  I would also like to thank Kristine Berg Doss for giving me this once in a lifetime opportunity.  It was truly a dream come true.


If you would like to know more about Dan DiPaolo, you can click here to visit his blog.  If you have not yet subscribed to A Primitive Place & Country Journal magazine, this is the time to do it.  You can get your subscription started by clicking here.


I hope you have enjoyed this sneak peek into Dan's beautiful farm.  You can see many more wonderful pictures in the Summer 2012 issue of A Primitive Place & Country Journal magazine.


Dan graciously allowed me to have my picture taken with him.  This picture was taken on the front porch of the log cabin that is now home to Dan DiPaolo Studios.


This is the birdhouse that I bought from Dan and Jamey's shop Fried Green Tomatoes. It was made by Rick LaChance.  You can visit Rick's website by clicking here.

A view months after my visit, I made this sampler for Dan to put in his art studio.

Thank you for visiting Yesterday Once More.  I appreciate you stopping by and I hope you will continue to come back as often as possible.  Don't forget to look for Yesterday Once More on facebook.  I would love to see you there too!  You can also follow Yesterday Once More on pinterest by clicking here.

"Somewhere over the rainbow, skies are blue, and the dreams that you dare to dream really do come true."
~Lyman Frank Baum~

All My Best,
~Dan~

15 comments:

primlin56 said...

what a wonderful adventure and i know just how excited you were to meet hime and to do this feature...i cant wait to see it....isnt life great....we all enjoy your blog so much so keep it coming...thanks for sharing your day with us....

prims by olde lady morgan said...

WOW!!! how exciting, I can't wait for the next issue now!! what a great tease and a secret well kept! OLM

Pam said...

I love your quote at the end. You picked the perfect one for this post! So glad you got to meet him and photograph his home and studio. How exciting for you! I have had a few of his calendars (and I still have them because I keep all my calendars just for the artwork). Thanks for the link to the birdhouses also. I'm in love with the salt box with the big trellis on the side. May have to request it for Mother's Day.

Penny said...

Congratulations on the wonderful opportunity to photograph Dan's home!! I'm sure it was awesome to meet him, and that it will be an amazing feature in the magazine!
I will be looking forward to seeing it in the summer edition....
Have a great week!

Lynn @ Painting Thyme Needfuls said...

Dan,
What an honor indeed!!!!! I'm so jealous!I cannot wait for the summer issue...I am drooling already!!!!!
Hugs,
Lynn

Lynn @ Painting Thyme Needfuls said...

Dan,
OH I so jealous!!!!! I cannot wait to

winterberryprimitives said...

Oh This is the best news....I Love Dan, and all his creations
Ive known him for soooo many years , seeing him at the shows..
and he always has a warm hug waiting
Cant wait to see his home..and I know you did a wonderful shoot and will capture the spirit of it all
with your story....
thanks for sharing this great surprise!!

Judy said...

How exciting , Dan! I can't wait to read the feature on him! I'm sure, like all your work, it will be fabulous!I am such a fan, too, and have a couple of his pieces. What a wonderful sampler you made for his studio! This job sure has opened a lot of doors for you. What a lucky guy...but talented, too. Enjoy your spring break!

~Judy~

janet said...

How LUCKY you are..I have several of his pieces and have always loved his work..To be at his home and see it in person would be such an HONOR..

Angie Berry said...

How wonderful Dan, congratulations to you! I am familiar with DiPaolo's talent. I worked at Hobby Lobby and every year I had the pleasure (not!) of unwrapping each one of Dan's pieces and making a table display. Making the display was lots of fun but not unwrapping each piece, they pack 'em good, hehe. Can't wait to see his place, I didn't realize he was into primitives and antiques, that is awesome! Oh, and love the stitchery you made for him, that is lovely!

Elaine @ Sunny Simple Life said...

That must have been so exciting. We have some of his books. I knew he loved prims and had seen his home before in magazines but what an amazing thing to go yourself. Congrats!

Lida said...

Wow, what a fantastic experience! I envy you! Wish I could have a subscription on that fantastic magazine, but I enjoy all the things you are showing!
Greetings
Lida

The Moonlit Stitch said...

Oh, what an exciting time for you! Love Dan's work! What beautiful pics! ~*~Lisa

My Primitive Creations by Tonya said...

Love the Picture of you and Dan on the Front Porch of the Log Cabin..Priceless!
Isn't it just wonderful when one of your dreams becomes reality...Glad that you reached one of your dreams..

Have a Great Day!

Blessings
Tonya

Karen/My Colonial Home said...

Hi Dan...well I can tell this was the best time you have had thus far doing an interview and photo shoot....AND WHO WOULDN'T.

I have to tell you that DAN and JAMEY live in my hometown...and we have been to their farm several times. What a great experience - when you are there you don't want to leave.

We have watched the progress of his log cabin studio and were in awe at the beauty.

CONGRATULATIONS! Next time STOP IN....we're always here!!!! Oh how I'd love to meet you one day.

Blessings,
Karen