Tuesday, January 10, 2012

~Very Special Gifts From a Very Special Mother~

Every Christmas for as long as I can remember, my mom has always made my two brothers and me a "special gift". This is a gift that she has made and usually signifies something important that has happened to us.

As more people have entered or been born into our family, she has continued this tradition and began make more special gifts. It is always the last gift that we open on Christmas and everyone is always anxious to see what she made them and what she made for everyone else.

I have to say, that my mom is truly one of the most talented people that I know. She can do anything that she sets her mind to. I like to think that I take after her at least a little bit. = ) I am so proud of her and all that she can do. She pours her heart and soul into these gifts and it is apparent to everyone.

This year, her special gift to Jeff was a picture of the Ps x 3 that she matted and framed. She drew these pictures from a picture but they are done free handed. She did not trace them.


I think she captured all three of them perfectly. They are three of the most precious angels to ever wear fur and we will cherish these pictures forever.

My special gift was a quilt she made. It is in the school colors of the university that I attended. The middle of the quilt has the mascot of the school along with the dates that I graduated. I received my bachelor's degree in 1995 and my master's degree in 2006.



I cover up with it every night when we watch TV and it always makes me think of my mom and how special she is to all of us.

Thank you for visiting Yesterday Once More. I appreciate you stopping by and I hope you will continue to come back as often as you can. Don't forget to look for Yesterday Once More on facebook. I would love to see you there too!

"The heart of a mother is a deep abyss at the bottom of which you will always find forgiveness."
~Honore de Balzac~

All My Best,
~Dan~

17 comments:

janet said...

What a special mom you have and the gifts that she made you and Jeff are so personal and thoughtful and beautiful..Those skethches of the 3P's are awesome..Your mom is one very talented lady..You both are so lucky to have her in your life..

alltheseboys said...

What wonderful gifts..and even more so a wonderful Mom!!! Katie

Lisa said...

Hi to you! My sister shared your wonderful blog with me and I'm so glad she did! Just glanced a bit do far but hope to be a regular. I'm fairly new to primitives but I'm comPletely addicted! It's so fun to look at your pics and to see your antiques and primitives. Loved the article on you moms special Christmas gift,.. The best gifts are always homemade,...and what better homemade gift than from your mom! Looking at your blog is a little piece of prim heaven! Thank you and keep it coming! Btw,..loved your samplers!

Jan said...

Your mother is quite the multitalented lady--no wonder you are so proud of her !! Our moms are the best, aren't they !!
blessings Jan-Life on Buttermilk Hill

jojo said...

what a wonderful tradition! I agree with you, she is darn talented. I knew she could sew, love the quilt, but I didn't know she sketched too. What a sweet gift. She's a keeper!

In den Uylenbal said...

What a beautiful gift ! My mom died 8 years ago so i cherish the moments we had together. Christmas was very special for me, my mom decorated the whole house en it was like magic. As a child it felt i was in a special place. Greetz Lejo

primitive ole frugal mumma said...

I agree with janet what a special mum you have and very clever ,what precious keep sakes.... iv just lost my mum 2 months ago and i get such comfort from curling up under quilts she has made me those gifts are such treasures now ...oh and her 2 precious cats ones a cornish rex the other a devon rex i love these cats sooooo dang much now since they were appart of mum they were her spoilt babys lol i cry with them cause i know they miss her to!!any how iv gone of track sorry...

Blessings heidi!!

Lida said...

Wow, what a talented Mam you have! The drawing and the quilt both show her talents and her love!
Greetings
Lida

Janet-Olde Crow Primitives said...

Hi Dan. Your mother has amazing talent. It is extra special to receive hand made gifts. Hoping you have a wonderful day.
~Janet

priley65 said...

Hi Dan,
What wonderful gifts from your mom. You'll always treasure them. I lost my mom (68) and dad
(81) when I was fairly young and I treasure all the times and wonderful gifts they gave me. The memories are never forgotten.

Angie Berry said...

Wow, your mom is very talented! I'm sure you gleaned some of that from her. =] Love your gifts from her. I love her idea of homemade gifts that are perfect for each person. I want to start doing that!

Joy/The Olde Farmhouse said...

Hi Dan: The best thing about handmade gifts is that you will have them forever and think of that person with love. One year our whole family HAD to make gifts for each other and we all still have them but all the other years where we purchased gifts...we don't even remember what they were or who gave them. Your Mom is a dear...love the 3 P's pic and of course your special quilt. You are a lucky guy! {{HUGS}} Joy

Prims By The Water said...

Your mom is a very amazing talented women...your gifts look wonderful...just the detail in both gifts...it would probably take me a year to complete them :o) Take care, Janice

Janice said...

Your mother is very talented. The picture and quilt are so nice. I think the talent runs in the family!

NnN said...

That picture/drawing is so precious! Our pets are anything but...they are family! :) Your mom is so talented! Rosie

Brenda said...

Glad I scanned down the page Dan... I do not know how I missed this post! I love working from photos in graphite, too. Your Mom did a terrific job, and the composition is perfect. There is nothing like a drawing to keep memories alive in a special way. And do not get me going on quilting!LOL It is my newest passion.

You guys are so lucky to have that wonderful lady in your lives. She not only puts some serious time into her gifts (which is priceless), but she has a knack for knowing the perfect gift for the recipient. I'm guessing she kinda likes your family quite a bit! ;)

TheCrankyCrow said...

Well, so we know which gene pool you draw your wonderful talents and gifts from - both of these are amazing treasures - but especially the hand-sketched pictures of the 3 P's - she is truly an artist in her own right! Makes me want to see all the other gifts she's made! I know you will treasure them - and that is so much of their beauty....Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin