Sunday, January 22, 2012

~My Miracle~

 ~Before I start this post, I want to say that these pictures are five years old.  This accident did not happen recently, and I am fine!~

Five years ago, on January 23, 2007, I was driving home from school.  I was running late because I had to make a phone call before I left school.  I was going home to get Parker to take her to the vet.  We had just gotten Parker a month before and she needed to go to the vet for some reason that I cannot remember. 

We lived in a different house back then and the road that we took to get to our house was very busy and people drove really fast.  We had to come to a complete stop on this road, if an oncoming car was coming, before we could turn onto the road we lived on.

The road started out as a four lane road and then when it got closer to our turn off, it turned into a two lane road.  As I was driving home, I got behind a PT Cruiser that seemed to being going slow.  Since I was still on the part of the road that was four lanes, I decided to pass the car.  

When I got to our turn, there was oncoming traffic coming, so I had to come to a complete stop.  While I was sitting there, I looked in my mirror and saw the PT Cruiser coming from behind me and it was going very fast.  I knew there was no way that it could stop and I still could not turn.  The PT Cruiser was going at least 55 mph.  I thought to myself, "It will be okay.  I have been rear ended before, and it isn't so bad."  About that time, the car hit me.  I don't know if the driver ever saw me.  If she did, it was right before impact and she may have swerved a little.  As soon as the car hit me, my car flew forward into the oncoming traffic.  I noticed that I was screaming and I thought to myself, "Why are you screaming?".  Somehow, I managed to turn my car and get out of the other lane.  I was told later that one of the oncoming cars hit me, but I do not remember that.  

I then looked to the right and saw the car that had hit me coming up the side of my car.  I noticed that the PT Cruiser's air bag had gone off.  I remember thinking how glad I was that mine didn't go off.  It would have scared me to death.  Isn't it funny the things that run through your mind?

It seemed before we even came to a complete stop, people were running at my car with fire extinguishers.  I just sat there in a daze looking around the car and thinking about how I was going to have to get the car fixed.  I then noticed that there was dog food all over the place.  I could not imagine why.  Then I remembered that we had bought a bag of dog food and it was in the back of the car.  The bag had exploded on impact and was everywhere.  I picked up my phone and called Jeff.  When he answered, I said, "I need you, I have been in a car accident."  I then heard sirens coming and people were everywhere asking me if I was okay.  My head hurt, but I seemed okay.  I got out of the car and I was amazed by what I saw.  Take a look.
 























I could not believe my eyes.  The car was totalled!  I just stood on the side of the road and watched as they dragged the lady out of the PT Cruiser.  She was in her mid eighties and was not in good shape.  The ambulance wanted to take me to the hospital, but I refused to go.  I said I was okay and miraculously, I was.

In the days that followed, I thought about life and how short it is.  I thought about how blessed I was that I walked away from that accident.  I thought about all the things I had worried about that day and how in the moments after the accident they were not important anymore.  All I wanted to do was to go home and see Parker and be with Jeff.  I thought about all the things I wanted to accomplish in life and I decided then and there that I was going to do them or at least try to do them.

The most important thing I learned was that your life can change in the blink of an eye and you should always be ready to go.  You should always make sure that your family knows you love them and know that you lived your life the best way you knew how. 

I am so thankful that five years later, I am sitting here sharing this story with you.  Things could have worked out very differently had God not been watching over me that day.  I will never forget that day and I will always try to be grateful for every single day I am given.

Thank you for visiting Yesterday Once More.  I appreciate you stopping by and I hope you will continue to come back as often as you can.  Don't forget to look for Yesterday Once More on Facebook.  I would love to see you there too. 

"We couldn't conceive of a miracle if non had ever happened."
~Libbie Fudim~

All My Best,
~Dan~

29 comments:

alltheseboys said...

Isn't it amazing..what God can protect us from!!! Katie

annie said...

I'm very thankful you were not harmed. You've gotten a lot accomplished the last several years as you've told on your blog. I know they bring you joy. Not many people can say they were given a miracle in their own lives, you are one of the rare few!

Since God let you have this time, and blessed you with it. He did! Any ideas on what He wants you to do with your time?

Just curious, I would assume you are a blessing to those who love you, & to the wonderful kids you teach. Any ideas on what else He wants you to do? He must have plans for you since He gave you time to do more? Some things to ponder, hope you have a great week!

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

WOW Dan, having lost a brother in a car accident, this one hit home! I am so very very thankful you survived that accident and can share this with us now!! big hugs!!!

Debby said...

Wow, you were so lucky. She really hit you going so fast. I'm sure she never saw you or she would have reacted. So glad that you didn't have the doggie with you. I have been in two accidents in the last 5 years......one was minor but the other one I had to be taken to the hospital. You are right life can change in a second. Glad you were okay.

Julia said...

Dan I appreciate your beautiful story very much. I'm glad that you came out of it unharmed. It's amazing how lucky you were.

You are so right that we should be ready to go at any time as our lives are so fragile and we could be gone at the blink of an eye. Saying that we love our family is so important. You have nicely put things into perspective.

JB

Susan At Glen Oaks Primitives said...

Oh, Lord, how awful. Thank God you were all right. I was rear ended
22 years ago with my baby in the back seat in a car seat. It was awful.
Fast forward, 5 spine surgeries later here I am. Ashley was not hurt at all and it was a miracle. That's all I've ever cared about. It certainly does put things in perspective and I've appreciated life and my girl every single day. I'm glad you're with us, too.
Hugs,
Susan

Audrey said...

I Thank God he was watching over you and pray he continues to hold you and Jeff in the palm of his hand. It is a wonderful reminder that none of us is promised tomorrow so make the most of today.

Donna~One Simple Country Girl said...

God is good!!

Robin said...

Hi Dan, what a story. Yes you have every reason to feel blessed, you had an angel on your shoulder that day. It is a wondeful feeling going thru life cherishing it rather than fussing about it!! Many blessing today and always

denise said...

been there done that. i was rear ended and pushed from the west bound lane into the east bound lane o a busy 4 lane highway. i like you was very lucky and i was in a big ole Bronco.

Never So Simple said...

Dan,

I'm so glad you survived this accident. Your right God was watching over you. None of are guaranteed tomorrow. Everyday you have with loved one's is a true blessing.

Donna

janet said...

WOW...What a lucky man you are..I am glad you are here five years later..I love reading your blog and enjoy the pictures of you and Jeff's home..You always have the most inspiring words to share..Have a wonderful week...

jojo said...

those pictures are heart-wrenching. Your guardian angels were working overtime that day...glad you walked away.

Sandi @ The Primitive Skate said...

Wow! You are very Lucky!Your story hit home with me. My sister was killed 15 yrs ago in a car accident on her way home from work. A car ran a stop sign and hit her. You definately had an angel on your shoulder that day.

Joy/The Olde Farmhouse said...

Dan: WOW! What a story and yes, God was watching over you that day. I am so glad you are with us to share your talents, stories, pups, your life and your wonderful articles in TPP.
We are so lucky to have you!
{{HUGS}} Joy

Y1M said...

So touching...Dan. GOD "IS" GOOD. His Grace and Mercy Endureth Forever.

I believe Miracles happen everyday and ALL the time (GOD can do that). :D I am always in AWE, when I am or/ hear of others that are aware of the Miracles we are Blessed with.

Dan, this is Truely a Testimony---GOD HAS BEEN GOOD TO YOU!

I Thank Him. :)
Warm Hugs,
Marlene

Lida said...

I know how you feel! I was in a car accident too, driving almost 100 mph on the highway on the outer lane when a car drove straight up to me! I was lucky that there was enough room for him on my left and he only touched me with his bumper and damaged the whole side of my car, but I was okay! Don't remember the date, don't even know which day it was, but it was at half past 7 in the morning rush hour and on the highway near Rotterdam!
I still am so thankful to have survived that crash and live every day more intense since! If I see your car, you must have the same feelings! Thanks for sharing this story, greetings
Lida

DianeM said...

Wow Dan...what a story! Thank goodness you were in a larger/sturdier car. I am glad to hear you were not seriously injured. I hope the PT Cruiser driver wasn't too bad off. Thankfully, I've never had to go through something like that. Smiles, DianeM
basketblessed@yahoo.com

Karen/My Colonial Home said...

Hi Dan, you were one of the lucky ones I'd say...and yes, God was watching over you.
I just can't imagine what that would feel like and I pray I never will.
So glad you were okay and I also (regardless of no accident) think the way you do...be thankful and try and do the best you can.
Hugs,
Karen

Robyn ♥ said...

I am SO glad you were OK! Thank you for sharing your life with us through your blog. I really enjoy reading every post even if I don't get a chance to comment. I enjoyed meeting you last year and really hope to again sometime! Hugs to you!

Jan said...

Dan, you were one lucky guy!! The photos of the vehicle are frightening to look at.You are right--you never know when our time is here, so we always have to live like today is the last. I tell my kids EVERY time I talk to them how much I love them. (even when they roll their eyes!!:) )
Glad you are still with us!!
Jan-Life on Buttermilk Hill

A Primitive Homestead said...

My daughter was in an accident last fathers day. She had drove away in my jeep & shortly the phone call came. I was told she was lucky to have survived. The emergency crew did not expect to find a survivor. God had his hand on her just as he did you for a greater purpose. Looking at your post & remembering mine while looking at the extent of the damage to your vehicle I give thanks once again for the blessings God has given you my daughter & both our families. Blessings!
Lara

Miss Taylor Faith said...

I'm so thankful that you walked away from this and that the oldest p pack girl was not with you. I think this was before we learned how to text too!

Benita said...

Oh thank God that you were not hurt Dan !! So many people have been blessed by your life, we are all lucky to have you here with us today !!
A few years ago right across the street from the hospital, a girl that worked at the hospital and was going to be late for her job, pulled out in front of me and there was no way I could stop either, so I hit her. Her air bag went off, mine did not. I had terrible whiplash and had to go through therapy for it, it still bothers me now and even worse, I'm still scared of being in a car ! Yes, it's funny the things you think of when it happens so suddenly. I called my hubby & told him that I got in a wreck and dented up the car a little bit & when he came and saw that the car was TOTALED he was shocked ! lol
I'm so thankful that God saved you Dan, you're so important to me ! ♥

Walking on Sunshine... said...

What a miracle! Glad you're okay!

Prims By The Water said...

January 20th, 2007 was when Bob and I were in a car accident. Bob was too tired to drive home, so I did. We were about 15 minutes from home when this truck decided to pull out in front of me on a rainy night. The truck had no traction on the wet pavement. I could not sverve to the left as I would have hit oncoming traffic, and I could sverve to the right as there were folks outside walking to their cars. I T-boned her doing 50mph and thank God I did not hit the passenger door or I would have killed her passenger. Both of our air bags went off and we thought we were dead because all we saw was this white light..turned out to be the white powder from the air bags. lol..but at the time neither of had been in an accident. God works in mysterious ways, and with your own accident, you are still meant to be here as you have not accomplished all that he wants you to do. Take care and stay warm, Janice PS, my car was only 1 year old and I was really mad. :-) but cars are replaceable.

TheCrankyCrow said...

What an amazing story - and truly a miracle. That was one nasty accident by the looks of it. You were truly blessed - and for that, I'm sure He has a purpose....So very glad you are still with us.....Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

Diane said...

Dan, what an amazing story and a scary experience. I read this post last week and had to come back and read it again this week. My daughter and son were hit by a car this past summer while walking to a concert. Daughter was hurt the worst, but is today recovering nicely with her physiotherapy and all the other therapies helping her mend. Son only suffered bruising. I agree with you so much that life can change in a millisecond and that life should be enjoyed the way it was meant to be. Thank you my friend for sharing this with us, what a very brave thing too do! :) Diane

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

Oh Dan thank goodness this was not recent and you let me know right away that is was an older accident otherwise I might have lost it.
It is funny what thoughts run through our heads.
God was sure watching out for you because from the looks of your car it is a wonder you were not seriously injured.
It is horrible to be sitting at a light a watching someone behind you knowing that their not going to stop. It happened to me when I was pregnant with Clint. God was with me that day too
Love ya
Maggie