Tuesday, January 3, 2012

~How to Dry a Pineapple~

I had so many people asking me how I dried my pineapples that I thought I should do I post about it. Unfortunately, I did not take any pictures of the process, so you will just have to rely on my words. = )

I am not an expert on drying pineapples. I have read about drying them on the internet and on facebook. It always seemed too complicated to me, so I was afraid to try it. I decided since I was on Christmas break and I had some pineapples left over from Christmas decorating, it wouldn't hurt to try.

This is what I did.


I got a larger knife and cutting board. I cut the top off of the pineapple. I would say that I went an inch to an inch and a half below the plumes (I think that is what they are called...LOL!).

Then I cut around the inside of the pineapple getting as close to the edge as I could. I then cut into the middle of the fruit to loosen it up. I made several cuts to make it easier to empty the pineapple out. Once I got it loosened up I used my hands to pull the fruit out. I tried not to use my hands at first, but found that that was the easiest way to do it.



I emptied the pineapple out just like you would empty a pumpkin out that you were going to carve. The bottom of the pineapple was the hardest to get emptied out. You just have to keep at it. I also hollowed out the top portion that I cut off. All in all, I would say it took about ten minutes to hollow the pineapple out. It is pretty messy and sticking too. = )




After the pineapple was cleaned out, I took a paper towel and used it to get more of the juice out of the pineapple. When I felt I had gotten all the juice out that I could, I stuffed the pineapple with paper towels. I stuffed it all the way to the top, pushing the paper towels down so that I could get as many in as possible. The paper towels will absorb the juices as the pineapple dries.



I placed both pieces of the pineapple on a baking sheet and placed them in the oven at 185 degrees. I read that it would take 10 hours for the pineapple to dry. It was more like 13 to 14 for me. The top was finished first so I took it out before the bottom. For the last hour or so, I took the paper towels out of the pineapple and let it dry some more. I mostly went my feel and sight to tell if it was dry enough. I just dried mine two days ago, so I do not know how they will hold up. If you have any other questions, let me know and I will try to answer them.



Thank you for visiting Yesterday Once More. I appreciate you stopping by and I hope you will continue to come back as often as you can. Don't forget to look for Yesterday Once More on facebook. I would love to see you there too!

Did you know that...

Pineapples take about 18 months to grow?

All My Best,
~Dan~

20 comments:

Prims By The Water said...

Thank you for sharing how to dry a pineapple Dan. Will have to do this in the future..especially liked how you displayed yours with the dried oranges in the bowl. Take care, Janice

Jan said...

I have also been a bit afraid to try drying a pineapple. Yours turned out so great I may have to take the leap! Great Job!
Jan

janet said...

Thank you so much..I am all over this and will be making several for friends and myself of course..When I told my friends about you posting a tutorial they all wanted one..Thanks for being so prompt on getting this posted..It saves me on the phone calls from them asking has he posted the pineapple drying instructions yet..LOL..Have a great day..

Betsy's Basket Blog said...

Hi Dan, Thank you for the tutorial, it does sound like a lot of work and messy! Maybe I will stick to fake ones! I visualized putting it on a cookie sheet, baking it on low heat for a loooong time and poof - it would be done and perfect! Hehe, not so!! One final question, the pineapple in your first photo and the one in a bowl - are they the same pineapple? Thanks again! Anita

Ann said...

Dan, Thanks so much for the information on drying the pineapple. My question to you is: have you ever dried a whole orange or grapefruit? I would like to do it without using clove studs. Any advice? And here you thought you'd get further questions about drying pineapples! ~Ann

Dan said...

Hi Everyone!

I am glad you are enjoying the pineapple drying instructions. It really is pretty easy, just be prepared to get sticky! = )

Ann, I have never dried a whole orange or grapefruit, but I would like to try. If I ever do, I will be sure and post about it.

Anita, I dried two pineapples so they are different ones. I will probably do more if these last. I love the look of a pineapple. So Colonial!

~Dan~

Deb said...

Wow! It's very interesting how pineapple works! I might have to try that someday and thank you for sharing! :) Stay warm!

Lida said...

Quiet a job, but a fantastic result! Greetings
Lida

primitive ole frugal mumma said...

Hi Dan they look great i was reading up on drying them over christmas and were ever i read it im not sure now had the same method but she cut the bottom off and scooped out the pineapple lol i guess it dont really matter as long as they dry :-)

Blessings Heidi..

Meadowbrook Cabin Primitives said...

Hi Dan,

Happy New Year !

I love the pineapple motif and real pineapples. The pineapple motif is in my guest bedroom.

No wonder that the pineapple means welcome.. it takes 18 months to get here ! :o)

Thank you for the info.

Hugs,
Linda

bettyj said...

Thanks Dan. I think I can do this.I am going to give it a try.

Joy/The Olde Farmhouse said...

Dan, thanks for the info. I think i will try it but will try to find a really tall pineapple as I am thinking they shrink a little? Thanks for sharing and I love how you have it displayed with the dried oranges...as you say, "so Colonial!"
{{HUGS}} Joy

Pam said...

I was going to ask you how you did this the other day and then Blogger was acting up and I forgot about it. So anyhow, thanks for posting the tutorial! I am going to try it out this weekend.

Dan said...

Heidi~

What a good idea! Cutting the bottom off would be better I think. The next time I dry one, I am going to try it! Thanks for the information!

~Dan~

Anonymous said...

Has anyone ever tried one of those gadgets you see at the stores and sometimes produce departments where you twist it into the pineapple to pull all the flesh out? You are left with a completely empty pineapple! Might be an easier way to get the flesh out before drying! I've got one and they work fantastic!!

alltheseboys said...

Thank you so much for sharing Dan. My project for the weekend...dry a pineapple!! I'm excited to play in the sticky icky mess, lol!! Maybe I can recruite Kaden to dig all the gunk out!! Katie

Kitty said...

thanks alot Dan! You really make it sound easy! I would love to try it! Plus I guess you get to eat all the pineapple you scoop out! Me like pineapple! :)

Deppen homestead 1862 said...

Dan they look wonderful~ thanks for sharing ~ I have tried it before no luck~ now I will try your way~ Wow had no idea they took so long to grow~ no wonder they are so delicious!!
smiles
Teresa

TheCrankyCrow said...

Thanks for sharing your expertise and experience Dan. I've wanted to try this for sometime, but was leaning toward "it might be easier just to pay someone to do it...." I have to tell you, though - I had to look several times at that first photo - it looked to me like the pineapple was suspended in mid-air. Yikes....guess I need more than glasses these days....Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

lynne said...

It is easier to cut around the star at the bottom of the pineapple and enter to clear out the insides that way,plus you don't see any joins etc when it is displayed.The tutorial I did back in 2010 with colour photos is available on many people's Pinterest accounts if any of your followers need the instructions.