Wednesday, January 18, 2012

~Decking the Hall...Well, Not Quite~

Whenever a new year rolls around, I am always looking for a new project.  It helps to take away the winter blues and helps make the house look more cheerful.

I have been wanting to put some wainscoting in the hall going to the master bedroom for a long time.  After we put it in the dining room, I loved it so much and I thought it would look great going down the hall.  The hall going to the master bedroom is long and kind of boring.  I thought that the wainscoting would jazz it up a bit (did I just say jazz it up a bit?  Well, you know what I mean!)

So, last weekend with the help of my BFF, Jerrah's, husband, Jason, we started the project.  It went very smoothly.  Actually, Jason did most of the work and I talked to Jerrah! = )  We did have to run to Menards a couple of times due to the fact that Jeff and I are not too handy with the tape measure, but we finally ended up with enough wood and Jason did his magic.

Here is the finished product!


I painted the wainscoting the same color as the trim and doors.  The paint color is called cornucopia.  It is a Martha Stewart Living paint color and is available at Home Depot.  The top of the walls are painted sisal, which is also a Martha Stewart Living paint color.



I looked for before pictures, but I could not find any.  I guess most of us do not take a lot of pictures of the hall.  Just imagine the walls being completely sisal and the baseboard and doors being cornucopia.  It looked okay, but it was a little boring.  I also need to hang something on the long wall, but I will eventually get to that.




I really love how it turned out.  I think it looks so Colonial and you know you can't go wrong with that.

Thank you for visiting Yesterday Once More.  I appreciate you stopping by and I hope you will continue to come back as often as you can.  Don't forget to look for Yesterday Once More on facebook.  I would love to see you there too.  Also, don't forget to enter for a free one year subscription to A Primitive Place & Country Journal magazine.  For details, look at the posted dated January 16, 2012.

"Where we love is home - home that our feet may leave, but not our hearts."
~Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.~

All My Best,
~Dan~

33 comments:

Pamela@ Our Pioneer Homestead said...

It's wonderful! Thanks for mentioning the paint colours!

janet said...

OMG...It looks AWESOME..I love it..and yes ya did say jazz it up..LOL..

Beckyjean said...

Hi Dan~

Love your new hallway!!

Have a wonderful evening~Becky

Jan said...

Really beautiful Dan. It really adds interest to the hallway. I used to stencil walls for a side job and often stencilled a fine design right above wainscoting just like that. Jan- Life on Buttermilk Hill

denise said...

love the colors!!! it's beautiful! DENISE

Carmen and the Primcats said...

Just beautiful Dan!

Carmen and the Primcats

Angela said...

The hallway looks great. Love the color. Great job.
Angela

A Primitive Homestead said...

It is beautiful & I love the paint color. Really adds to your home. Yes I agree on the colonial look. I have looked for a pineapple like those on your mantel in your header picture. Wondering where you got them? Blessings!
Lara

Sandi @ The Primitive Skate said...

I Love it, Dan. This is something that I have on my to-do list. Thanks for sharing the paint colors and where to purchase.

Lee Hill Primitives said...

Looks amazing!

Ronda Tedder said...

You've done an excellent job Dan,,love the color, lov the look.
~Ronda

Susannah said...

Very colonial, indeed! Gorgeous!

Susannah

alltheseboys said...

I absolutely love love love it! I'm so jealous. I want wainscotting.. Can NOT wait to get into my house! I'm going to be dangerous..oh so dangerous!! Katie

Lida said...

We are also in the proces of jazzing up our hallway and the stairs, a lot of work, but it will take at least one more month before it will be finished! The wainscoting will be white first and later on I hope to give it a warm and deep red color. They don't sell Martha Stewart paint overhere!If I get the same good result as you have got, I will be very happy! It looks fantastic!
Greetings
Lida

Joy/The Olde Farmhouse said...

Dan: The wainscoting looks FABULOUS!
You might consider a small stencil in one color just above it to enhance the colonial look, just a suggestion.
Love all that you do to your home, so cozy!
{{HUGS}} Joy

Susan At Glen Oaks Primitives said...

Dan, it's beautiful! Yes, it's very colonial looking. You guys did a
perfect job. We're renovating here,
kind of going for a 1790's Williams-
burg style with lots of crown molding, chair rail, paneled walls,
wide mopboards. I am in love with the color you chose.
Thank you so much for posting the pictures. You've inspired us.
Blessings,
Susan

Deb said...

I love the color you picked out. It all really adds to to the look of the hallway awesome job!!

Sassafras and Winterberry said...

You guys did a fantastic job. It looks like it was always there! Hop on over to my blog for a cute rug hooked stool giveaway, if you'd like.
Hugs,
Courtney

Hillcresthome Prims said...

Dan, Can all of you come and do our hallway now! PLEASE! It does look colonial. I am in LOVE with the color you picked! The hallway looks warm and cozy!!!!
Just beautiful.
Stay warm my friend,
Hugs,
Tricia

Janice said...

I love it! I want to do that in my kitchen, but my husband doesn't have the same motivation I do. (Maybe because he would have to do most of the work!) It looks great, can't to see what else you have up your sleeve.
Take Care,
Janice

Penny said...

It looks great!! Thanks for sharing the name/brand of the paint colors. We'll be moving soon and can use some good ideas!

Julia said...

Your hallway looks terrific. Great colors to cheer the winter blues away. JB

Walking on Sunshine... said...

It looks beautiful!

prims by olde lady morgan said...

Dan, LOVE IT!!! I would say it more then "jazzed" it up! Love the color...the look! Congrats on 2 years too.... I love the magazine... can't wait for the spring issue! OLM

The Hoskins' Family said...

Dan, I love the wainscotting and it does really finish off your hallway. Someday I hope to have a home I can add that too b/c I love colonial look and it just add's to those bare walls!

Can't wait to see more winter projects!

Lynnly

Shuttle, Hook and Needle said...

Hi Dan,
The wainscotting adds a lovely finish to a sometimes forgotten part of the house. Have you thought of adding crown molding painted in the same color as the trim? I think it would add a lot of colonial elegance and help set off your nice hanging light fixture. I am a new follower of your blog and I would love to be added to your giveaway! I have read your blog for a long time now and have enjoyed seeing how you and your house has evolved.
Louise

Weeping Cherry Soy Candles said...

It looks beautiful! I love the MS cornucopia color paint. I have used it to paint a deacons bench.
Nadine

Elaine @ Sunny Simple Life said...

Oh I love the color and the new woodwork adds such a richness. Maybe a nice place to display a collection like rug beaters or something.

Trace4J said...

Oh I love it. There is no place like HOME.
Hugs Trace

www.grannytracescrapsandsquares.com

Angie Berry said...

Just beautiful Dan! I love the cornucopia color... it looks wonderful in the hall, especially with the sisal!

Jason did a great job on it and you did a great job with painting it!

Have a fantastic week~

Y1M said...

Very Lovely Dan. Colonial indeed, Wonderful color too. I too would love to have wainscotting installed in all my hallways. You all did a super job here. Thanks for always inspiring us.

Warm Hugs,
Marlene

imsteelefullofscrap said...

I am a newbie to your blog and I must say you have a beautiful home plz come decorate mine just like that!!!! Okay off to check out the rest of your blog

TheCrankyCrow said...

Absolutely gorgeous Dan!! Looks like it was "meant to be" - wow. I so wish now I had a long ol' hallway (ok - ANY hallway) so I could do this to it!! Enjoy! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin