Thursday, January 26, 2012

~Bread Boards a Plenty~

 I have recently developed a new obsession with early bread boards.  There is just something about them that really appeals to me.  I love to see the wear on them and the marks left from years of use.  Their worn color is so warm and inviting. 

I recently found an antique store where bread boards are plentiful.  The name of the store is American Harvest Antiques and it is located in Paducah, Kentucky which is only about an hour away from where we live.  I have been able to add several bread boards to my collection in the last few months, so I though I would share them with you.


These two bread boards are being used to hide electrical plugs in the kitchen.  I think they really add to my display of vintage and early kitchen utensils.


I have also started a stack of bread boards on the top of the primitive corner cabinet in the keeping room.  I really like how they look grouped together and there is plenty of room for more! = )


Obviously, this is not a bread board, but I wanted to share a picture of the early table that I found at American Harvest this past weekend.  I love the wear that it has on it and it fits perfectly at the end of the sofa in the basement living room.


I placed this collection of bread boards on the top of the Hoosier cabinet that is in the keeping room.  The bread board in the back is painted brown and it is a lap board.


This round bread board with black trim in sitting on an easel on the kitchen counter.  I love how the light from the candle reflects on the wood.

Thank you for visiting Yesterday Once More.  I appreciate you stopping by and I hope you will continue to come back as often as you can.  Don't forget to look for Yesterday Once More on facebook.  I have also started a pinterst page.  You can visit it by clicking ~here~.

"Acorns were good until bread was found."
~Francis Bacon~

All My Best,
~Dan~

22 comments:

janet said...

Your bread board collection is awesome..

Pam said...

When you start collecting something, you go all out! Actually when I was at an antique store last week I saw some bread boards and thought of yours. I like the idea of using them to cover the outlets.

Susannah said...

Wonderful bread boards, Dan. They do make great displays and you have done a good job putting them right where they belong.

Susannah

Jan said...

I love your breadboards, Dan. I don't know what it is about them, but they are so appealing to me too. Breadboards probably make up half our sales of painted folk art. Everytime we find an old one, I trace the shape off so Al can cut more for me. Customers head for the breadboards first!! Beautiful additions to your collection. Jan- Life on Buttermilk Hill

Sherri Farley said...

The breadboards are wonderful. There is something about wood that is so appealing. I love your displays.

A Primitive Homestead said...

These are all beautiful pieces. I have a few myself. I love how you have displayed them with your crocks. If I recall you have a lovely collection of brown crocks that caught my eye some time ago. Blessings!
Lara

marly said...

I love the top of the Hoosier. And the new table. And the display and molds on the corner cabinet. And your basement!!!

Lida said...

Your collection becomes more interesting bij the week! Looks great, greetings
Lida

NnN said...

Dan, love your collection of breadboards....they are so pricey up here in Northern Illinois, but looking for a smaller one to keep the one above my mantel company! :) Recently spotted price seen on a comparable...$115. I will keep looking!!! Great finds!! Rose

Shuttle, Hook and Needle said...

A great new collection! I am fortunate that I have both of my grandmother's breadboards and one of them with her original rolling pin.

Louise

Janice said...

I love your breadboards along with all your other collections. How do you decide what to buy on a given outing? Do you go antiquing with a treasure in mind, or do you just buy what you see and like? I have to go with a treasure in mind or I've been known to go a little over board. : )
Take Care,
Janice

Prims By The Water said...

Love your breadboards Dan. I only have one myself and I move it around my kitchen..its a noodle board. Love your butter molds in front of the breadboards. I have a small collection of those too! Its fun to collect isn't it! Stay warm, Janice

Susan At Glen Oaks Primitives said...

Hi, Dan - you have a fabulous collection of bread boards. I
like the display on the corner
cabinet and the hoosier.
Beautiful!
Hugs,
Susan

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

Dan honey been thinking of you wondering what you have been up too.
As always I love reading about your collections. These boards you have are wonderful Especially like how you display them.
I keep saying I am taking a trip to Kentucky since that is where my dad's family came from to Texas.
Hope you have a great week
Love ya
Maggie

Alice said...

I love bread boards but they are hard to find in my area.

{{{hugs}}}

Alice from Arkansas

Y1M said...

DAN ~ Thought I'd left a comment on this one already.

Love your new table and boards...you have some nice ones too. In fact, I LOVE anything that has buttery wood. Have quit a few myself. Aren't the old lines, from many years of use, great on them?

You've displayed yours very well, and I too use some to hide outlets and switches...so clever. :)

Thanks for sharing the new shop you found too...hope to visit this one soon.

Hugs,
Marlene

Elaine @ Sunny Simple Life said...

Bread boards are such a wonderful thing to collect. Think of all the bread sliced on those over the years. Love that little black table.

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

Sweet dear friend
You always come to my site when I need to hear from you the most.
I loved reading your comment this morning.
I am waiting on news this week about my son Clint. He has been told by his doctor that his kidneys are not functioning properly. This out of blue has us all worried sick but I am doing my best to leave it in God's hands.
Your coming by today put a much needed smile on my face and heart. Cause I love you dear Dan
Maggie

Miss Taylor Faith said...

You went to Paducah without telling me!

Deppen homestead 1862 said...

Dan I am giggling so hard~ I use some bread boards also to cover up the outlets,Hubby is always saying they are in the way~ I say yep in the way of the ugly outlet~
Beautiful breadboards~
smiles
Teresa

Anne said...

I'll have to check out American Harvest Antiques...are they in downtown Paducah? (We are only a little over an hour away from there as well) ~ ♥

corner curio cabinet said...

I love your bread board collection, it is awesome!