Wednesday, July 20, 2011

~A Cabinet of Quilts & A Candle Mold~

Now that the painting is done, Jeff and I have had more time to do some shopping. We went shopping yesterday and today and I found two items that I am so happy about.

On a recent photo shoot for A Primitive Place & Country Journal magazine, I saw a cabinet that I fell in love with. The cabinet I saw was filled with Ironstone. I thought when I saw the cabinet that I would love to have one like it someday. Well, yesterday Jeff and I walked into a great primitive store called the Rabbit Patch Cottage which is located in our hometown of Herrin, Illinois. The first thing I saw was the cabinet I had been looking for. I could not believe my eyes. After some serious thinking, I decided to get it. I placed it in the sun room. I did not have any Ironstone to place in the cabinet so I decided to group most of my vintage quilts together in the cabinet. This is how it turned out.











I love how it turned out and love all the different colors and textures that the quilts add.

On another photo shoot for A Primitive Place & Country Journal magazine, the homeowner had a wonderful collection of candle molds. I decided then that I would love to collect them. I don't know about you, but I am sensing a dangerous pattern here...LOL! These candle molds are hard to find in my area and are quite expensive. Today at a local antique store, I came across one. It was not in the best shape and it was pretty rusty, but it was only $11.99. I decided to get it and after I cleaned it up I decided it didn't look too bad.





So, what do you think?

Thank you for visiting Yesterday Once More. I appreciate you stopping by and I hope that you will continue to come back as often as possible. Don't forget to look for Yesterday Once More on facebook. I would love to see you there too.

"Our lives are like quilts- bits and pieces, joy and sorrows, stiched with love."
~Unknown~

All My Best,
~Dan~

18 comments:

Robin at The Primitive Hutch said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the cabinet!
Those quilts ~ you can't get more beautiful than that.
I saw a couple of candle molds at the flea market ~ you're right they were expensive.
Your displays are all so wonderful ~ what a wonderful idea to bring the old watering can inside.
I know your a busy guy ~ but you wouldn't want to come to my house and do your designer magic on it would ya??? I LOVE EVERYTHING you've done on your home.
Thanks for sharing!
Prim Blessings
Robin

Tammy ~ A Primitive Place said...

Hi Dan, love the cabinet.
Mellisa always has the most wonderful antique pieces!
Your quilts look awesome in there.

Love your candle mold.
I used to have some, but I ended up selling them.
Now I regret it. ;)

TFS,
Tam

redesigngal said...

Dan: You are such an inspiration! I have almost an identical cabinet and couldn't ever "get it right." Your idea of the quilts is perfect and I will try it soon. Love the candle mold...I have only ever found one and I know it is a repro. as I had to "beat it up a little" to make it look good.
Keep up the good work - "shopping!" and inspire us all.
Blessings,
Joy http://theoldefarmhouse.blogspot.com

Hillcresthome Prims said...

Dan I LOVE the cabinet you bought and the beautiful quilts that you put in there as well. I also LOVE the candle mold you bought. I have a feeling we all will be seeing more of them in your beautiful home! Nothing wrong with that!!!!
I hope you and your Hubby Jeff are enjoying your lazy days of summer, now that all the painting is done.

Summer Blessings Friend,
Tricia

Trace4J said...

Love love love the cabinet with the quilts. I just love quilts and the warm cozy feeling they bring into a home.
Blessings Granny Trace

www.grannytracescrapsandsquares.com

LibbiesHome said...

Oh, I LOVE that cabinet full of quilts! What a great accent of color to the room. I was just thinking that your travels for the magazine can be dangerous! :) I would have the same problem - seeing collections in person can be really tempting/motivating!

Pam said...

That cabinet is gorgeous! I love the patina of it. I think these photo shoots may become costly to you!

*Kountry*Porch*Primitives* said...

Nice cabinet. I want to go shopping with you & Jeff...you always find the nicest things! How long will it be before this gets a coat of paint?? :o) ~Kriss~

Ann said...

The cabinet looks like it was made to go in that space - how lucky are you. And you had the perfect "filler" for it. You got a great buy on the candle mold. I've NEVER seen one for that price, even in that condition. Personally, I like a little rust! ~Ann

Chris Fenwick said...

Dan the cabinet looks to have been built especially for that spot !! how lucky, the quilts look bright and welcoming. I have never seen a vintage candle (mould)Aussie for mold :o) very interesting and it looks great sitting amongst your other treasures.
XOXO

Never So Simple said...

I love it all. The candle molds are really neat but I have never seen one in person. If I do I may have to snatch it up. :)

Love the cabinet in the sunroom. The quilts make the room feel even cozier.

Donna

Janice said...

Love it all! The cupboard is a very nice piece and the quilts in it add a very nice touch. It is a nice collection of quilts and because you have a "few" other dish collections in other areas of your home, it is a different touch. Right, you only have a few dishes, don't you?!? : ) I love the idea of collecting candle molds, they are also a favorite of mine.

Take Care,
Janice

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

Love them both, but that cabinet of quilts makes my heart skip a beat! I love quilts! They just look happy to me! You have a beautiful collection! It just might be one of my favorite things in your beautiful home!

Nice price on the candle mold too!

Blessings,
Tammy

Lee Hill Primitives said...

Beautiful piece! Love how you displayed your quilts on it. Here in my area, I see lots of candle molds but they are quite expensive, sometimes around $75-$90 ea. Good luck with your new collection.

Judy said...

Well,Dan, you have done it again. That cupboard looks like it was made for that space. The quilts bring a pop of color to the room and look great with the couch. I have decided to start collecting candle molds, too. they are hard to find in my area and if you do, they are repros and even they are high. Yours was a steal and I love the patina. I have envied your new job BUT i don't think i could afford it. I would be on the lookout for new old things to add to my collection, too. After all your hard work this year, you deserve it! Congrats on the new finds! Enjoy!

~Judy

Raggedy Creations said...

The cabinet is beautiful Dan and I agree about the candle molds. I wanted a few of them too but they are quite expensive. Still you can find one now and again as you did. It all looks great as usual.

~Felicia

Sharon said...

I love the cabinet and it looks like it was made just for that spot in your beautiful home.
I like the idea of putting in your quilts.
Thanks for sharing.

janet said...

Dan, I love the quilts and they look so nice where you placed them..Also the candle mold is awesome..I have always wanted one but they are so pricey..