Wednesday, May 11, 2011

~When a Stone Starts Moving~

I just wanted to drop in and let everyone know what was going on around here. I had a kidney stone attack yesterday that sent me to the emergency room. I had had two previous attacks before, but none of them were like this one.

It all started Friday night. I just didn't feel well, like I was coming down with something. I slept most of Saturday and felt better when I woke up. Sunday, we prepared for our Mother's Day dinner. I got so tired preparing things that I had to take a nap. This is something I never do! On Monday, my lower back hurt and I had a little blood in my urine. I knew then what I was in store for.

Yesterday, I went to school and about 8:30 that old familiar feeling came back. I knew instantly what it was. I told my friend Diane, "I am going to pass a kidney stone today." I started thinking lots of water thinking that I could help the stone along. I drank a lot of water and it the water was not coming out. This concerned me, but I kept teaching. I taught until 10:30 and finally decided to go home and suffer through the pain in the comfort of my own home which is absent of third graders watching my every move.

Diane told me not to drive myself, but you know how guys can be...stubborn! Driving home was pretty hard the pain was getting worse and I was getting cold chills. When I got home, I called Jeff and told him what was going on. He said he would come home and take me to the ER. I said, "No, that is crazy. I will be fine." I am more stubborn than I realized...LOL! While I waited for Jeff to get home the pain just kept getting worse. Then I started vomiting. I had not vomited since I was fifteen years old. That is a whopping twenty-three years ago! Then I started sweating like crazy. I was really concerned. Jeff came in and took one look at me and said, "We are going to the emergency room." I was in no position to argue. On the way to the ER I was giving Jeff my password to my blog. I said, "If something happens to me, you have to let everyone know." The pain was that bad! I thought I may not make it. That sounds crazy now! = )

When I got to the emergency room, they did blood work, an urinalysis, and a cat scan. The pain had let up quite a bit by then, so I was feeling better. It came in waves. It would be okay, then bad again. When I saw the doctor he said the stone was small enough to pass on my own. He gave me an IV of basically water along with some morphine. The pain was gone instantly and I felt better than I had in days. They told me to go home and drink lots of water to help the stone move.

I decided to stay home from school today to rest. I believe I have passed the stone. I am not 100% sure, but I have very little pain today. I guess I will just wait and see. I have plenty of pain medication if I need it.

I know that I always strive to make my blog a positive and happy place to visit, but I wanted to share with you what was going on. I appreciate any prayers that you can send my way. God was certainly watching over me and I am so thankful that he kept me safe.

Thank you for visiting Yesterday Once More. I appreciate you stopping by and I hope that you will come back as often as you can. Don't forget to look for Yesterday Once More on facebook. I would love to see you there.

"Pain nourishes courage. You can't be brave if you've only had wonderful things happen to you."
~Mary Tyler Moore~

All My Best,
~Dan~

29 comments:

rachel said...

Oh I hope you have passed it! My husband gets them every once in awhile & he is always in terrible pain ~ I feel so bad for you! I hope you can rest & feel better today. I like your quote @ the end too!

Jackie said...

Oh Dan... I hope you passed it and I'm so sorry you were in so much pain. I'm glad you stayed home to rest today. Love the quote by Mary Tyler Moore. Get Well Soon!

Jackie

Orange Sink said...

Dan,
I hope you are feeling better and the stone is gone! Thank-goodness for Morphine! That is so sweet about you giving Jeff your password to your blog...... while suffering so you were still thinking of your blog readers! Bless your heart!
Take it easy now and rest if you can!
Hugs!
Cathy G

Penny said...

Oooo -- so sorry to hear about your kidney stone... I had one once and it is sooooo painful! Hope that it has passed and that you feel better soon.....

Mumsy, Chancy and Co. said...

Sure sorry to hear this Dan. Prayers going up from here for you. Hoping if that stone has not already passed it does very soon and you will be all well and feeling great again. Hugs

adsgram said...

To anyone who has never experienced the 'wonder' of a kidney stone, the part about giving Jeff your blog password may have seemed a bit funny, but to me it brought back the pain of when I had mine. I really thought for awhile that I didn't even care if I did die. The pain was excruciating. (I had had a baby,and this was NOTHING like that!)The doctors had to admit me since they couldn't get the pain under control and I had surgery to remove it, but when they showed it to me, I was SO embarrassed...the thing was about the size of a pinhead...how could it have hurt so much and turn me into a blubbering fool??? No idea, but I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Dan, I hope yours has passed! Keep drinking that water....and stay well!

♥♥
Lynne

cottageprims said...

Hope you are feeling better.Never fun to be in pain and sick.Shooting a little prayer up for you.~Amy

Sharon said...

Prayers for you!!! I remember seeing that horrible pain look on my hubs face when he had his. He had to have surgery to I pray that yours is gone.
You are a dear thinking of others even through that pain.
Have a nice day

The Hoskins' Family said...

I hope your feeling better and that stone has passed. Keep drinking lots of water.
Prayers for you!

Lynnly

Deb @ Crows on the Cupola said...

Hope you are feeling much better Dan...my husband went thru this same thing several years ago and I understand completely. Will say a prayer for you. Hopefully you don't have to go thru anything like this again.
Take care..Deb

Grammee Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

Oh Dan, it sounds even worse than I imagined. I hope you truly have passed it and that never happens again! Thaks for sharing so we can keep praying for your full recovery!!

hugs, Linda

janie said...

Take care, and hoping for a speedy recovery!!

Janie

Susannah said...

I have heard how painful kidney stones are. Take care, Dan, and be sure to let us all know how you are feeling. Prayers said here!

Susannah

Beckyjean said...

Dan~

Hoping you are feeling better. Sending prayers your way.

Becky

LibbiesHome said...

Glad that you are not in so much pain today. And glad you could leave your classroom - I know exactly what you meant when you said the thing about third graders watching your every move! Hope all continues to go well. :)

Darline, Tammy and Pam said...

Gosh Dan, I sure hope you did pass that nasty ol' stone! My daughter suffers with them from time to time and I feel so bad for her and anyone that has an attack. Hey, and don't be so stubborn, when you are sick, your sick! Let Jeff take care of you!
Take care!
Darline

Debra said...

Oh My- you have my sympathy! I had one about a yera and a half ago-pain , vomitting, sweating. I know what you went through! Not fun! I remeber it like it was yesterday!

Rugs and Pugs said...

Dan ~
My older son has also had stones that have sent him to the ER.
I hope yours has passed.
Hugs :)
Lauren

annie said...

Dan, I'm so sorry you have had to suffer like this. My husband went through that twice, it was horrible. 3 things we learned afterwards, 1. no tea to drink, it made it formation more likely for him, 2.Yes, drink lots of water, 3. being off his feet could have caused the calcium to leach out of his bones. He had been laid up for a long time. So stay up and keep moving.

Father God, in the name of Jesus, I ask you to help Dan & Jeff. I pray that You will give the merciful healing that is needed, and You would speak softly to the tender hearts in this home. You alone, oh Lord, know exactly what needs must be filled. I humbly intercede, and pray, in the Name above all names. Amen.

Michelle said...

Hi Dan,
So sorry to hear about your stone. I hope you will be back to good health soon!
xoxo

puddie said...

Hi Dan -

I hope you are on the mend. My husband had stones over 20 plus years ago. He could not pass them so he had to have surgery - a type of laser blasting was done to break them up and then a tube inserted into him that ran the entire urinary track so the remnants could pass. Such pain he was in! After a week, the tube was removed in the doctor's office and subsequently had a spasm (which was expected)and required another trip to emergency. Morphine was definitely a blessing! Since then, knock wood, he has been fine - maybe a few small ones which he passed, but that's it. Turns out he ate too many Tums and drank too many colas (and not enough water) which caused the stones. Hopefully this will be your last encounter with those nasty little buggers!

Anne said...

Hey Dan,...Ughhh been there. I thought I was dying too. I was alone with the kids (poor things) they were so scared. I didnt know what it was since it was my first. I heard lemon juice works as a preventative, that and vinegar. I take applecider vinegar tablets and the stones have not returned in two years. Hope you feel better!!!

Wendy/TheCozyYellowHouse said...

I hope you are feeling much better today Dan, I have never had them but I had gall stones and I thought I was gonna die I was in so much pain! Praying for you!:0)

Loretta said...

Dan I'm praying you are feeling better now. My brother had stones too and he was sick for a very long time. Keep drinking that water and stay well! Loretta

JeanM said...

I totally sympathize with you. I think kidney stones are the worse pain there is. I got a happy shot and passed it the next day.

Y1M said...

Dan...I sure hope you are doing well....Will continue to send prayers up for you. Take Care of yourself.

Hugs,
Marlene

Janice said...

Hi Dan,
I hope you are feeling better. I have never had a kidney stone, but from what I hear they are not fun. You are very blessed to have such a wonderful person in your life to help take care of you. And, even when telling about your illness, your blog is STILL a posititve place to visit! : )
Take Care,
Janice

Elizabeth (Blue Clear Sky) said...

Oh, Jeff I do know how you feel! As I was reading along I knew that the throwing up part was coming. When the pain is that intense it is sure to follow.

I have had stones for seven years, although mine don't pass and just keep getting bigger and bigger. I just had lazer surgery and a stent this week to try and break up the two largest ones and hopefully let some fragments pass. I'm recovering and thank goodness for meds. In '07 I had ESWL.

Drink lots of water, always. Never miss it, at least 2-3 litres a day of water. I was told by doctors at two different kidney hospitals to drink citrus juice, specifically one glass of oj and 1/3 cup of lemon juice each and every day. It discourages the calculi from accumulating and forming a stone. I add the lemon to my water and drink it all.day.long. Good luck and hopefully this wasn't sharing too much, but I know the pain. Having had two children, nothing that I have experienced compares to the pain of renal pain.

Lisa B. said...

Oh, Dan, I am so sorry for all the pain. Glad you are on the mend.

Lisa B.