Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Sunflowers, Green Beans, & Ironstone. . . Oh My!

I don't know if it is feeling so much better, having some time to myself, or a combination of both, but my creative juices have been flowing this week. Don't worry, as promised I have been taking it easy. The projects I have been doing or non strenuous. = )

Yesterday my friend, Diane came to see me and she brought me a bunch of sunflowers. I am really not a flower person, but I love sunflowers. I always have. There is just something about them that make me smile. Diane knows that I love them, so I was overjoyed when she showed up yesterday with them. I decided to put them in a blue mason jar that I had. I placed the flowers on the stove cover along with the blue granite kettle. Then I added an old picnic thermos I had. It has a mason jar inside. It will keep the item warm or cold. I set a old pie plate in front of the thermos and a rolling pin in front of the flowers to make a late spring early summer display.


I am hoping to dry the sunflowers and enjoy them all year.




My friend Kathy has been emailing me little projects to do this week. The first project she sent me was stringing green beans. This is an old Indian custom called leather britches. It is the way that the Indians dried their beans. Kathy told me to use black crochet thread and to string them like I would popcorn. Over time they will dry and look so primitive. She has also given me lots of other ideas for items to string. I am anxious to do that very soon. I made a garland out of this string and hung it on the primitive corner cupboard I have in the upstairs kitchen.









I was also thinking about four Ironstone platters that I have which I have not found a place for yet. I placed an old tool carrier on the island in the kitchen. I love the red paint that is on it. It has a crack right down the middle of its base where two pieces of wood come together. It made a perfect plate rack. So I lined the platters up from biggest to smallest and stood them vertically.







As you can see, I have been busy. I promise I am not overdoing it!

Thank you for visiting Yesterday Once More. I appreciate you stopping by and I hope you will continue to come back as often as possible. Don't forget to look for Yesterday Once More on facebook. I would love to see you there too!

"If you are seeking creative ideas, go out walking. Angels whisper to a man when he goes for a walk."
~Raymond Inman~

All My Best,
~Dan~

13 comments:

Trace4J said...

Glad you are healing.
Prayers really work.
Love all your projects..Especially the beautiful sunflowers and green beans. Think I am gonna have to steal that idea. :)
Granny Trace
www.grannytracescrapsandsquares.com

Lisa B. said...

Dear Dan, I love everything, especially stringing the beans - what a terrific idea. I love the way it looks. So glad you are finding ways to let your creative juices flow without overexerting yourself. The sunflowers are beautiful - such a sweet friend to remember that you love them. Rest and continue healing.

Pamela said...

LOVE! the beans- that kind of olde reenactment decor takes guts LOL!~ Awesome

Mary said...

Hi Dan, so glad you a feeling better,just do not over do... I love the idea with the greenbeans. I've seen them strung in differnt pictures and was always wondering about them....thank you so much for sharing. Love your sunflower & stove board display! Your friend Kathy seem awesome, so nice of her to email you little projects to keep you busy and out of trouble. Have a wonderful weekend and fun filled holiday....So good to have you back! Hugsss Mary

redesigngal said...

Hey Dan: Welcome back! Thank Goodness that is over. Maybe that was the Lord's way to make you slow down...you're such a busy guy! Glad you are feeling well and let us know how the drying of the sunflowers goes...I never had good luck...they dried so much they fell apart! LOL
Hugs,
Joy

jojo said...

Good to see you getting up and about much better. I love the idea with the beans and may just have to borrow it for myself...and now I'm thinking of all the other kinds of things I could string...I'll be stopping back by to see what you are up to...take care.

prims by olde lady morgan said...

Dan, So glad you are feeling better! It's hard when we feel crapy for so long, once we feel better, we want to do everything! So remember just to slow down jsut a bit! LOL.... always love your pictures! OLM

Sharon said...

I am so glad to hear that you are doing better.
I finally am getting caught up on everything.
My computer got a bad virus on Friday and had to be cleaned.
Prayers healing each day.
I love sunflowers also.
That is a need idea with the beans also.
great photos.
take care and have a nice day.

Pam said...

I've never seen strung green beans before, but they are sort of cute. They look very springy right now. Glad your feeling better!

Anonymous said...

I love the green beans all strung up..So glad you are feeling better..Have a great Memorial Day weekend..
Janet

Trace4J said...

Morning
Just wanted you to know I strung green beans and shared on my blog today.
I also shared your blog and gave you the credit. You did a great job.
Hope you are feeling better and ready to share more cool projects with us.
Thank you for sharing.
Granny Trace
www.grannytracescrapsandsquares.com

Chris Fenwick said...

You have been quietly busy :o) nothing too strenuous it appears, but lots of fun. How lovely Dan fresh Sunflowers, we are coming into our Winter and Jack....you know him..last name Frost...came a calling and feasted on anything green and growing, ha ha so the garden (what garden) is very dismal indeed.
Stay well.
oxox

grandma peden's porch said...

I am so glad you are feeling . The house is looking good and the string beans love them!!! But I would want them to stay green.
Marilyn