Thursday, April 14, 2011

~Quilts...Made with Love~

It is almost impossible to go into any home and don't find a quilt. Everyone loves quilts. Not just because they keep us warm during the winter, but because they evoke memories of the past.

A quilt is far different from a blanket. A quilt was made with love by someone who loved creating. Many quilts were made out of necessity and were made with whatever fabric was left over. This happenstance has made quilts even more desirable for their unique look. The different fabrics used in the quilts has also made them suitable for any room. I am sure when these quilts were being made their creator never imagined that they would one day become a piece of folk art that is so sought after.

Many of the quilts I have were made by my great grandma, so I love them for that reason. But even the quilts that I have picked up at antique shops mean a lot to me because I know they were made with love.















Thank you for visiting Yesterday Once More. I appreciate you stopping by and I hope you will continue to come back as often as you can. If you haven't already do so, look for Yesterday Once More on facebook. I would love for you to stop by.

"Good friends are like quilts. They age with you, yet never lose their warmth."

All My Best,
~Dan~

13 comments:

LibbiesHome said...

A subject after my own heart. I love quilts! My favorite from your pictures is the one in the frame, but I'd love to get my hands on that stack in the basket! :) Thanks for sharing something we can all connect to yet again!

Pam said...

I never noticed all those quilts in your house photos before. I love how you have them displayed.

Susannah said...

What great quilts!! I have couple of my great-grandmother's quilts, too. So nice to be able to enjoy them now..so many years later.

Take care, Dan. I love your beautiful home. The color of the doors is fantastic. Each room in your house is so nicely done. Thanks. for showing us.

friends,
Susannah

Tins and Treasures said...

Good evening, Dan,
I love how you have your quilts displayed. I buy one every year at our church bazaar. They each have their own personality, don't they?!

Have a wonderful weekend. ~Natalie

renee said...

I like all your quilts Dan, they are neat! I really like those crazy quilts. They are all beautiful! Thanks for sharing and have a good weekend.
Renee

blessed country girl said...

I like your quilts!! Friends are like quilts, you love them even when they go to pieces!

Chris Fenwick said...

I love quilts, the history behind each one is fascinating, who was the creator, what thoughts crossed her mind as needle and cotton worked its magic, was it made in a group or a lone quilter......clearly I have too much time on my hands.....lol. Love your decorating skills Dan.
Smiles
Chris :o)

Sharon said...

I love your quilts and yes they are made with love. I have one that my MIL made for us as a wedding gift and I know how much time was spend on it and the love she put in each stitch.
Thanks for sharing.
Have a great weekend.

Lori said...

Your quilts are displayed beautifully. I'm not a quilt collector but I have one unfinished quilt in my care. I have been entrusted with it because I sew. My family feels that I will finish it one day. I worry that I will ruin it. If I look at it as a coming together of 3 generations of fabric and memories I now want this quilt to be on display in my home.

Janice said...

You're right, quilts have such history behind them. Imagine the hours logged into each one. You are lucky to have such a nice collection, especially some from your grandmother!
Take Care,
Janice

Joanne said...

Great quilt "show"! Love old scrappy quilts like that. I did pics of my quilts on my blog a month or so ago and didn't realize how many I had and how many were made "with love" by family members.

nancy huggins said...

Yes quilts are awesome no matter who makes them and I have one crazy quilt that My Grandmother made (crazy quilt design) in 1902 when she was just 7..It is one of my favorite treasures.
If you go to my blog you will see pictures of the quilts I have been making since Christmas for this coming Christmas. As much as I dread thinking about the freezing weather that comes with winter I do have a large family and still have a few more quilts to go plus some other smaller items.

basketsnprims said...

Hi, Dan ~ your much loved quilts are beautifully displayed. I love quilts and have several as I have been collecting for awhile. I think often of how many were made out of necessity and some were made as pieces of art. Thanks for sharing.
pam