Saturday, April 30, 2011

~Answers Once More...Part 2~

I hope everyone is having a wonderful Saturday! I am back to finish answering the questions that you asked me last week. I hope you enjoy reading the answers.

1. You have such a natural eye for design, color, and all things primitive. Why are you not hooking rugs?

Learning how to hook rugs is on my list of so many things that I would like to learn how to do. I have found lately that I have so many different interests that it is hard to get to all of them, but I hope one day to find the time to learn how to hook rugs. I think it would be a lot of fun!

2. Where do you find most of your lighting?

All of my lighting came from the Country Store of Geneva.

3. How did you get involved with A Primitive Place magazine?

My involvement with A Primitive Place magazine is something that I am very proud of. I had always dreamed of working for a magazine. It was a dream that I thought would never come true. I found out about A Primitive Place magazine, like many of you, through the announcement they made on their blog in March 2010. When I read about the new magazine, I was so excited. I felt that we needed a new primitive magazine on the market. I immediately ordered my subscription. I told Jeff about it and he said that I should contact the magazine and ask if there was anything I could do. I told him, "You're crazy, they do not need me!" Jeff dropped it and the next morning when I got up, I thought about what he had said. I decided that if you want something in life sometime you have to take a chance. After all, the worst thing they could say was no. I emailed Kristine Berg Doss, the editor, and I few days later I was working for A Primitive Place magazine as a contributing writer. I became the Senior Writer a few months after that. I love writing for the magazine and I am so happy for the success that it has seen. I know that it will only get better and I feel so blessed to be a member of such a talented team. I can never repay Kristine enough for taking a chance on me. I am very grateful!

4. How often do you clean?

I clean every day. With three dogs, the floors need vacuumed once a day. We have a cleaner that comes every Friday and then Jeff and I try to do deep cleaning once a month.

5. Where do you get all your energy?

I have always been a driven person. However, it seems like the older I get the more driven I become. I have so many interests and dreams that I just keep working toward them. I take vitamins, run two miles six days a week, and try to eat well. There are some days though that I just sit and veg out. Not very often though.

6. Where did your firkins originally come from?

When we bought my stack of firkins the man at the antique store said they came from a farm that was owned by a couple who never got rid of anything. They had been big antique collectors for most of their lives. They did not have children, so after they died their items were auctioned off. I am so thankful to have them!

7. Where did you get your decorating skills and how long have you been decorating prim?

I grew up with a mother how was always decorating. Her home was and still is very important to her. She is one of the best decorators I know. I was always by her side when she was decorating. Whatever that may have been. We painted, wallpapered, rearranged furniture. You name it, we did it. Over the years she taught me how to do all these things. She taught me that your home should reflect you. That it should be full of the items that mean something to you. She also gave me a deep appreciation for all things vintage. She fostered the collector in me from a very early age. My dad is a very methodical person. He is very neat and everything must always be in its place. I think I got my eye for symmetry from him. Jeff always says, "You are a perfect combination of your parents. You got all of their good qualities wrapped up in one." I guess there is a lot of truth in that. I have been decorating in the prim style for about fifteen years. My style has evolved over time and I think that it will keep evolving, but primitives will always be at the center of my decorating.

Thank you for asking such fantastic questions. I have really enjoyed answering all of them.

Thank you for visiting Yesterday Once More. I appreciate you stopping by and I hope that you will continue to come back as often as possible. Don't forget to look for Yesterday Once More on facebook. I would love for you to stop by there too.

"The best security blanket a child can have is parents who respect each other."
~Jan Blaustone~

All My Best,
~Dan~




3 comments:

Grammee Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

It's always fun to learn more about you Dan. So glad you did these posts! And I am so glad you took the plunge and contacted Kristine like that!!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend! HUGS!

*Kountry*Porch*Primitives* said...

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer questions for us! This is such a great little online family & it's wonderful to get to know each other more!! Your story about A Primitive Place magazine is great...you're an inspiration as I keep continuing down the primitive path in my home & my fledgling business!! Thanks Dan! ~Kriss~

Sharon said...

Thanks again for sharing your home with us and I want to thank you for taking time to answer all of the questions. I like to get to know someone better even if on blogging.
Have a nice day.