Wednesday, April 27, 2011

~Answers Once More...Part 1~

I sincerly apologize for the delay in answering all of your wonderful questions. I really appreciate you taking the time to ask the questions. I also loved reading all of the wonderful compliment you gave me, my home, and my blog. They all mean so much to me. There are thirteen questions for me to answer, so I decided to make this a two parter. I will answer the first half now and the second half on Friday. So, without further ado...here are the answers to your questions.

1. What was your first collection and how old were you?

I started collecting as soon as I moved out of my parents house. That would have been in 1995 when I was 22 years old. My first official collection would have been wooden mashers. All these years later, I still love them.

2. When and what drew you to love prims? What was that first beloved piece?

I was first drawn to primitives after I watched the movie Fried Green Tomatoes. After watching the movie, I said to myself, "One day I would like to fill my house with items like the ones in the movie." My first beloved piece would have to be an old crock water jug that once belonged to my great-grandmother.

3. Since you've done so much to your home, do you ever just think enough is enough? When should I just stop and enjoy?

I believe that anyone who truly loves decorating the way that we do would say that they are never really finished with their homes. Even though most of us only paint our houses once or twice over several years, we are always tweaking. I think that is the wonderful thing about the internet. Never before have we had the opportunity to visit so many homes and draw inspiration from them. Even though we all have similar interests, our interpretation is different. Only you can decide when you should stop and enjoy. For me, the project is my way of enjoying.

4. How long have you had your furry babies and how did they get such unique names?

Our first baby was Parker. We have had her for 4 1/2 years. We discussed several named for her. Jeff and I have always been big Sex in the City fans and we love Sarah Jessica Parker so we decided to name Parker after her. All of our babies have middle names too. Parker's middle name is McKenzie. I chose this name because I love the book and movie Peyton Place. The main family's last name was McKenzie. We will have had Peyton for four years in June. We named him Peyton McEntire. Peyton after the book and movie Peyton Place and McEntire after country music singer Reba McEntire. We have had Paycee for one year. I was a big fan of the TV show Dawson's Creek. I loved the name of the character Pacey, so we decided to name our little girl Paycee McLaine. The McLaine is after Shirley MacLaine.

5. When you do all of this home improvement, does Jeff have a say as to what is going to be done or does he trust your judgement?

I am going to have Jeff answer this question. You have my word that he is doing the typing and I am not telling him what to say...LOL! So, here is Jeff!

Well, this is an interesting question. Most importantly I want to stress that I feel blessed to get to live in such a beautiful home. I have very little talent (or interest) in decorating. Dan does ask for my opinion before any project. Here's how it usually goes down . . . "Jeff, I need to talk to you about something." I know what's coming. Dan wants to repaint, remodel, redecorate, or redo something. I sometimes do complain a little. For example, when we completed repainting the entire upstairs I was assured that we would not be repainting the basement. Our friends actually had a secret bet about how long it would be before Dan decided to tackle the downstairs. It only took him a few months and we were off again on another huge project. Dan is extremely driven. I can't keep up sometimes, but he knows that I trust and support him because, in the end, everything always turns out even better than I could have imagined. I am awed by his talent.

Thank you Jeff. That is exactly what we discussed...just kidding!

6. What is one item you dream of adding to your home decor or to one of your collections?

This is a hard question. It seems I have so many collections. One day, I would love to collect Ironstone.

That concludes today's answers. I will be back on Friday to answer the rest of the questions. I hope you will come back to read them.

Thank you for visiting Yesterday Once More. I appreciate you stopping by and I hope you will continue to stop by as often as you can. Don't forget to look for Yesterday Once More on Face book. I would love to see you there too!

"A room hung with pictures is a room hung with thoughts."
~Sir Joshua Reynolds~

All My Best,
~Dan~


11 comments:

renee said...

Hi Dan & Jeff!
I thought that this was interesting and humorous! LOL! Especially, Jeff's part where you Dan are coaching him! LOL! Just kidding! I can totally see you in action! With all your brainstorming! I have sort of lost some of my focus, I just can't seem to get it together.
I guess it isn't going anywhere, so I'll get it eventually.
I am very happy to know you and glad that you are having success in your life! Truly I am.
I think the P's are all cute, and very spoiled!
Have a great rest of the week!
Hugs,
Renee

lilraggedyangie said...

how funny , loved the non-coaching ! lol you two are fabulous together , must be why you work so well ! Thanks for sharing your lives with the world! Enjoy your evening !
Hugs
lil raggedy angie

The Prim Colonial said...

Your answers got me thinking about my own collections, my first collection, my most beloved piece, and so much more. Isn't it true that collections are so much more than the items themselves. When collections are part of your decor, not just for decor, they tell so many stories. It's the greatest form of recycling to me as we gather the old, the discarded and the relics of the past. Part of decorating with collections to me is that so much of what I have reminds me of something, someone or sometime; evokes a treasured memory and makes me smile. Thanks for giving me great food for thought tonight and sharing your talents with all of us!

nancy huggins said...

Very Interesting and lets everyone know more about a person..I have never had anyone ask me any questions so you are a lucky guy...can't wait to read the rest on Friday :)

Lynn @ Painting Thyme Needfuls said...

Loved reading the answers to all your questions Dan........I am especially happy to see that you and Jeff "discussed" the answers...too funny!
Hugs,
Lynn

Mumsy, Chancy and Co. said...

I have not been around much of late and did not see the questions until now. I am really enjoying reading the questions and answers though. I have to say that I am like Jeff...I am also awed by your talent. Hugs

cottageprims said...

Now I feel like I need to go watch fried green tomatoes just to look at the decor...smile...Been years since I watched it.I'm like you always changing and tweaking things.Can't wait to see the other questions.Warm Blessings!~Amy

*Kountry*Porch*Primitives* said...

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions for us, how fun! I thought I was the only one who looked at the homes in movies!! I had the Waltons on over Easter weekend and can't tell you exactly what was going on in the show but can tell you that I was scanning the set LOL! I agree that "never being done" isn't about being happy or unhappy with your home, it's just that we keep adding our love along the way! ~Kriss~

Sharon said...

Thanks for the opportunity to ask questions.
I thought that was so interesting where you got the names for your sweet fur babies.
I like the idea that you let Jeff put in his remark. Your home is just so beautiful and I enjoy coming here for some ideas. I can not wait to read the rest on Friday. Thanks Dan for allowing us in your world.
Have a nice day

Deppen homestead 1862 said...

Dan,
I am so enjoying getting to know the both of you with your answers~ Love Jeff's answer~ Jeff you sound so much like my Hubby~ he puts up with all my decorating and changing!!!
thanks for sharing
smiles
Teresa

Janice said...

"Thank you Jeff. That is exactly what we discussed...just kidding!"
LOL! That was cute!
Glad all is going well with you. Do you have any outdoor projects in the works?!? I must say that since the weather has gotten better we've been out in the yard again anxious for summer. I can't wait! And I can't wait to see your basement!
Take Care,
Janice