Tuesday, February 15, 2011

~Word of the Week "Week 6"~

Thank you for joining me in my sixth installment of my word of the week. I really hope you are enjoying reading these as much as I am enjoying writing them. Remember if you post about the word of the week on your blog, please let me know. I really enjoy reading them.

This week's word of the week is ~Perseverance~.

We have all grown up hearing and reading the story of the little engine who could. This story is a big part of all of our lives, but seldom do we ever stop and think about what it really means. We all know it is about a little train who didn't give up and he eventually reached his goal. However, we all need to work harder at being more like that little engine.


We often say to ourselves that we cannot accomplish something. We have a million reasons why we cannot do it. We say to ourselves, "I am too old, I am not smart enough, I am not talented enough, I don't have the time, I don't have the money." The list goes on and on. The only thing that it really standing in our way is ourselves. Maybe we put barriers in our way to protect ourselves. It is scary to take the plunge and try to make our dreams come true.

Without perseverance where would any of us be? All the modern conveniences we enjoy are because someone kept going and didn't quit. All of the modern medicine that we have is because someone had a dream of curing an illness that has taken so many lives. The rights and freedoms we enjoy is all because of someone who was willing to keep going no matter how hard things got.

We owe a lot to perseverance. Why not try to apply it to our lives more? Maybe your goal is to lose weight or start exercising. Maybe you want to go back to school or start working again. Maybe you want to start your own business or learn to sew. Whatever your goal is, go for it and don't quit.

We are all surrounded by negativity in this world. It is everywhere we look and sometimes it keeps us from trying to reach our goals. It is time to rise above the negativity and keep going.

We owe it to ourselves to try to live the best life we can. We only have one life to live on this earth and no matter how long we may live it goes by way too fast. Only you can achieve your dreams. Our dreams are not going to knock on our door one day and say, "Here I am." We have to go look for it. As scary as that may seem, it is all we can do.

So in the weeks ahead try to think of one goal you would like to accomplish and try to achieve it. Surround yourself with people who can help you achieve your dream. There will be people who say you cannot do it, but you can. Do your best to erase the negativity from you mind and persevere.

We all have a dream and it is time for us to stand up and proudly proclaim it. Even if we think it is silly or doesn't mean anything. If it is important to us, than it is important. So, here is my dream. It is a dream that I have not shared with many people and I even feel a little funny sharing now, but I know that all of you will understand

One day I would love write a book and have it turned into a movie and then write the screenplay and win an Oscar for best original screenplay. I believe one day it will happen. That is half the battle. If we can believe it will happen, one day it will. I would love for you to share your dream with me. Maybe together we can make all our dreams come true. Just keep thinking, "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can, " and you will. NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Thank you for visiting Yesterday Once More. I appreciate you stopping by and I hope you will continue to come back as often as you can. Always remember, "Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another".

All My Best,
~Dan~

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

dan,i just want to let you know that i think you are such an amazing and wonderful person. i have a son who is in special ed. and i show him your words of the week to give him inspiration. any child would be lucky to have you as a teacher as you are such a giving person i look forward to reading your posts. thank you

Janice said...

Dan,
I'm tearing up from the first anonymous comment...this was an amazing post this week and all your words were absolutely correct. One of my goals I wish to achieve in the future is finishing a half marathon. Another more short term goal---surving the paperwork of annual review season! : )
~Janice

Sharon said...

What another great post. I loved that little engine book and I read it to my sons when they were little. We always tried to tell them that there is not such word as can't.
I will let you know if I come up with something this week. Thanks again.

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

Dan honey I am speechless....yes me the woman of many words.
This post is you! It reveals so much of why I love you as so many others that follow your site.
Your dream is so close to mine that I know now for sure that Devine Intervention is why we two have met out here in this fab world of blogging.
Gretchen who lives out here now on the ranch with me is a screen writer/actor. Getting to know her the last five months has been a God sent like you and would love for you to meet her. Her director is coming from LA in a few weeks and I am looking forward to meeting him.
Long comment but what I am trying to get at is yes dreams do come true and I see yours in the very near future. I am so very proud of you for acting upon your dreams.
Would love to know what you want to write about. Gretchen is almost finished with one of her screen plays and I am going to get to be an eye for her. Me who knows nothing about that is going to get to read hers. How lucky am I.
Love you Dan
Maggie