Sunday, January 30, 2011

~Word of the Week "Week 4"~

Thank you for joining me for the fourth installment of my word of the week. Remember, if you use the word of the week in one of your posts, let me know. I have really enjoyed reading them.

This week's word of the week is ~Courage~.

When we think about the word courage, we naturally think about firemen, policemen and service men and women. While I firmly believe that these people are courageous, there are many other people we know who are just as courageous.


A mother who would give her life to protect her children...that is courage.

A person who is facing a potential life changing illness with beauty, dignity, and grace...that is
courage.

Someone who thinks of others before his or herself...that is courage.

A person who takes a leap of faith and follows a lifelong dream no matter how crazy it may seem...that is courage.

A person who faces his or her fears straig
ht on and does not back down...that is courage.

We all have courage in us and we have all done courageous things. You may think you have never done anything courageous, but you have. Never doubt that!


We all have people in our lives who we think have courage. I, like all of you, know so many people with courage. One of those people is my grandma. She has shown courage to me and so many others in the darkest times of her life. She buried a child, went through a divorce, survived breast cancer and colon cancer, she buried the love of her live and then made a life changing decision to sell their home and move to a place that would be easier for her to take care of. She had never spent a night alone and at the age o
f seventy-three she concurred that fear. She faced all of this with an unyielding sense of humor, strength, and grace. Now that is courage!


I just hope one day that I will have as much courage has she does. Courage to live my life, to take care of the people I love, and to not have any regrets. That is my hope for all of us. To live our lives with courage to stand up for what we believe in and hold near to our hearts.

Thank you for visiting Yesterday Once More. I appreciate you stopping by and I hope you will continue to come back as often as you can. Always remember, "Courage is not the towering oak that sees storms come and go; it is the fragile blossom that opens in the snow."

All My Best,
~Dan~

This post is dedicated to my friend Colleen. May others continue to be inspired by your courage.

8 comments:

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

This is beautiful Dan. I so loved reading this post especially about your grandma and her courage. Gives me hope that one day my Kaci and Bailey might think of me in this way.
Your an awesome son, grandson, partner and friend I love you Dan.
I will try my best to do a post before the end of this week ......lol
I have already signed up with Donna to do memories on Mondays so yours will be after the Monday post. Hers is just once a month.
Oh by the way I did not guess your word this week. lol
Love
Maggie

My Primitive Creations by Tonya said...

Hi Dan.. once again Great word of the week! Very well said..I think you are well on your way to having the same courage your Grandma has. Working with kids takes a great deal of courage. Along with Love, Faith and patience all of your words of the week!!

Thanks for sharing

Warm Blessings
Tonya

Mumsy said...

What a wonderful blog. Dan your grandma is beautiful, I bet she is just as beautiful inside as out. I really enjoyed this blog and the way you brought out so many examples of courage. Hugs Mumsy

Grammee Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

Oh Dan you made me cry! First when I saw the word I thought immediately of dear Colleen! And then reading about your Grandmother moved me. What an extraordinary woman to have faced so much with so much courage. You certainly have had some fine examples in your life. You are blessed!

cottageprims said...

I don't always get time to comment,but wanted to let you know I enjoyed each of your words of the week.Your grandma such a beautiful person.You and she are so blessed to be loved by each other.Warm Blessings!~Amy

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

Honey
You know after reading your very awesome comment this morning that I had to scoot myself right over here to give you a big hug and kiss. Of course coming from Texas you better stand back you know how everything is big here even our hugs and kisses. lol
I am sitting here in awe that you wrote that to me. I have already forwarded it to my daughter Christi and Gretchen. Gretchen is the sweet young writer that moved out here a few months ago and she tries to encourage me to write every day. Knowing her she will print it out and post it on my forehead. hahaha
As gifted as you are to be complimented by you makes my day or week.
Love the picture of your grandmother. Your family is awesome. I love your mom too and I have never met her. Isn't it strange how we connect on here.
Been thinking about the word courage all morning. Boy your word of the week is making me think. Hopefully sometime tonight I can put my thoughts into words for a post.
I need to send you an email...I thought of something I wanted to tell you.
Love ya
Maggie

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

OMGoodness Dan even our comments are bigger in Texas...sorry
Love
Maggie

Sharon said...

What a wonderful word again for the week. I did not have time to do a post on Patience.Sorry
I will try to get one this week.
I love the story about your grandma's courage.
Have a nice day.