Sunday, January 23, 2011

~Word of the Week "Week 3"~

Thank you for joining me in my third installment of my word of the week posts. Remember, if you post about the word of the week, please let me know. I have really enjoyed reading them.

This week's word of the week is ~Patience~.


It has been said that patience is a virtue. While I agree with this statement, I would also like to add that patience is hard work. I know I struggle with having patience everyday and I am sure most of you do too.

We have to learn to be patient from the minute we are born and it continues throughout our lives. It seems like it is a constant battle though. When it is winter, we cannot wait until spring. When it is summer we cannot wait until fall. When we are a kid we cannot wait to be an adult. When we become an adult we cannot wait to start our careers and then as we continue to work we cannot wait for retirement. It seems like all of our lives we are looking for something to end so that something better can start.

This is natural and I think it is good to have goals for our lives, but sometimes we need to rest in the moment. So many times in life we get so busy waiting for the future that we forget to enjoy the present. There will never be another January 23, 2011. When we think of it that way, maybe it will be easier to try to enjoy the day and not think about January 24, 2011.

We all need to work a little harder at being patient and enjoying the season that we are in. Every season has its good aspects and its bad aspects. We are all in different seasons of our lives and we never know when the season will change. So why not sit back and enjoy this time of life?

Everything in life seems instant. If we want to communicate with someone we can text them, e-mail them, or call them. Gone are the days when someone may not be home. We all carry our cell phones around with us everywhere we go. When we don't have it with us we feel lost. We can get our lunch and dinner almost instantly without having to get out of our car. We can watch any movie we want and not have to wait for it to be shown on television. I think in a lot of ways the world and its technology has made us impatient.

So in the week ahead try to find time for yourself and the ones you love. Alleviate all the distractions in your life and spend time talking, reading, or just resting. Try to enjoy the season of life you are in even when the kids are crying, the boss is yelling, or your back is hurting. Try to show patience with everyone and everything in your life. I think we will find that it makes everything seem a little better.

The picture I selected to represent patience is a picture of Parker. She is so patient and never gets upset when she isn't getting attention or when her brother and sister are playing too rough or taking her toys. She accepts attention and love when she gets it and never becomes impatient.


Thank you for visiting Yesterday Once More. I appreciate you stopping by and I hope you will come back as often as you can. Always remember, "The greatest prayer is patience."

All My Best,
~Dan~

11 comments:

My Primitive Creations by Tonya said...

Hi Dan.. I was really busy this week getting my van fixed and taking care of all those daily chores I totally forgot to post about Faith.. Opps..
Love this weeks word of the week~Very well put we do live in a time when our patience is tested daily.We have all forgotten how to enjoy the moment and to take time to smell the roses.
Thanks for sharing!!

Have a great week.
Blessings...Tonya

Ronda said...

Dan,

What a beautiful and meaningful post. I will think of patience as I face this life I live. I copied the Hope/Courage/Strength button for Colleen and will have it on my blog, I pray that with patience and enduring struggles the treatments will deliver her a cure.
A dear girl who was my step-daughter for 22 years had a massive stroke a year ago at the age of 39, 2 small children, I pray that she have the patience to learn her new life, she has been left paralyzed on her left side, patience and faith will teach her to live again.
Patience will bring you love, patience will bring you joy, most of all, patience will give you peace.

Thank you,
~Ronda

Wanted to say,,you are doing a fantastic job with APP...

renee said...

Dan,
This is SO true! Patience IS a challenge. I am getting a little better with it! LOL!
This is a great reminder for all of us.
Have a good week.
Renee

Tracey said...

Great post - we all need reminders of these virtues, and I'm afraid patience is something I have to work very hard at. With a new year, there are always new beginnings and second chances to get it right, though!
Thanks for the reminder!
Tracey

Benita said...

I love all of your posts Dan, you are always right about everything and it gives us to much to think about and be thankful for ! We take advantage of the easy things in life and don't appreciate the simple little things !
Luvs~N~Hugs to you ♥

Sharon said...

What a beautiful post again this week.
I agree that we need to slow down and focus on each day a little more.
Love that photo of Parker.
I will have to again put on my thinking cap for the word of the week. I really enjoy having to stop and reflect things in my life to go with your word of the week.

SANDI said...

You always hit the nail right on the head...
Love your posts...
Patience is something I really need and been working hard on. LOL
Parker is adorable...
sandraallen260@centurytel.net

Janice said...

You're absulutely correct...think of each day as unique and different and how blessed we are that we are here to enjoy the day. When we think of this is helps ground us and keep us patient.

Janice

Colleen/And Baby Makes Five said...

One of my many mantras these days, Dan. Thanks, as always, for the beautiful reminder ...

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

Dan honey once again you have done a wonderful post with your word of the week.
It is a word that I have truly been praying about especially in the last week or so.
So glad you thought of it and hopefully I can take the time this week to write my post about patience.
Love ya honey
Maggie

Jerrah said...

patience... Parker must have learned patience from you. :) I'm not sure about the part with the boss yelling??? You shouldn't take that abuse.