Sunday, January 2, 2011

~A Mantel Redo Once More~

As the Christmas season comes to an end and the festive decorations come down, I always struggle with the emptiness of our house. It seems like everything is boring and dark. This year to try to bring new life to our house I decided to redo our mantel in the dining room. I tried several different ideas and this is the one that made the cut.


The first thing I did was hang a hooked rug that was in the dining room, but in a place where it was not as noticeable. This alleviated the glare from the light that was always there when I hung a picture with glass in it.


Then I selected three baskets that were similar in color and in size. I like to group items in odd numbers. For me it just looks better.



Then I selected two crocks that were similar in height and width to place on each end of the mantel. I then decided that I wanted to make some kind of arrangement in the crocks to try and mimic the two trees on the hooked rug.



We have some ornamental grass in the yard that had not had the tassels cut off yet. I cut the tassels off and placed them in the crock. The tassels worked as a filler. Then I cut branches from a tree and used the smaller twigs from the branch to add depth to the arrangement.



I really like how it turned out and the best part of all is that I got a brand new mantel look without having to spend any money.

Thank you for visiting Yesterday Once More. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will continue to come back as often as you can. Always remember, "Smile...it improves your face value."

All My Best,
~Dan~

14 comments:

Jamie said...

Hi there guys,the work that you all have been doing is FABULOUS.Keep up the awesome job.
How are the little ones doing,please post some pictures of the darling cuties!!!!!

Nana's Fun Stuff said...

It looks great!! Good job and wishing you a fabulous 2011 Sweetie :)

LibbiesHome said...

Happy New Year! The mantel looks awesome! I love the idea of the hooked rug to get away from the glare on glass. Thanks for sharing. :)

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

Just had to come over today and wish you a very Happy New Year to you and sweet Jeff!
Been thinking a lot about you wondering how you are doing.
Your redo of the mantle is beautiful. I just cleaned my two off about an hour ago taking down the Christmas and was wondering if I should do something different with them and now after seeing yours I know I should. lol
Thank you Dan for being a real blessing in this ole grandma's life this past year. I am so looking forward to getting to know you even better this new year.
I hate I was late coming by for Jeff's birthday. I did leave a comment just now for him. But I forgot to tell him how Handsome he is. lol Wow very nice looking. Of course he is with you. Well enough of me going on and on
Love ya sweetie
Maggie

Here On Crow Creek said...

loving the new mantle look dan! I group my things in odd numbers to! 3 is my favorite number:) Happy New Year Dan!

Donna~One Simple Country Girl said...

It looks great Dan! Happy New Year!
Hugs,
Donna

terriborgese said...

Hi Dan,

I love the mantel! I just also browsed your holiday pics of your home and everything was beautiful! Thanks for posting. What color/brand of paint is the gold you have used in your home on the doors and trim? I really like it and have been looking for a similar color.
Happy New Year ~ Terri

redesigngal said...

Dan: WOW, you sure got rid of the "after-the-holidays-blahs" with your mantel! I love all of it, especially the textures you ended up with from the rug, branches, smoothness of the crocks and of course the wonderful baskets! You are a talented person and I love to visit your blog.
Hugs and Happy New Year,
Joy

Ann said...

Dan, I like the mantel - I LOVE the baskets. It looks very nice. I'm always a little sad to pack everything away before January 6th, but we go back to school tomorrow and I need the house in order. I hope you had a good break. ~Ann

Janice said...

It looks very nice. I also like how the hooked rug brings the red from your woodwork to the oak of the mantel. Have a great week back to school!
Janice

Beckyjean said...

Dan~

Love the mantel!! Anytime you mix hooked rugs & baskets, you'll have a winning display.

Happy New Year~Becky

Lisa B. said...

Oh, Dan, I absolutely love how you redecorated your mantel. Simple and elegant. Happy New Year. Lisa B.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dan, Love your blog. Your home is beautiful,I have to differ with you....I have the most beautiful Nd handsome mini-schnauzer E-ver. Would love to know where you got your newest addition. Contact me at .... otway56@aol.com Hope to hear from you soon, Patti

Angie Berry said...

Your mantel is beautiful in its simplicity. For me, that is the hardest piece in my home to decorate. I've never had one before and it's always a struggle for me. Maybe one of these years I'll figure it out and have a beautiful mantel like you.