Thursday, January 13, 2011

~The Light Through My Windows~

When I decided to paint our house this past fall and try to achieve a more Colonial look, I started looking around and realized that the lights and ceiling fans did not fit in with my new decorating style. I started looking online at some of the lights people had and then tried to find those lights to buy. To my dismay, I realized that they were quite expensive. Then a catalog arrived at my door from Country Store of Geneva. I started looking through the catalog and found some lights that I liked. They were not cheap, but they were more in my budget than some of the others.


The first light I picked was the sturbridge light. I chose the antique tin finish. It gives off a lot of light and has an extra light in the cone. I chose to hang this light in the keeping room, master bedroom, kid's bedroom, music room, and the sun room. I really like it!


The next light I chose was the saddle light. I again chose the antique tin finish. I hung this light in the halls and laundry room.




I chose to hang these lights called witches' hats in the master bathroom. They are the antique tin finish as well.

The next issue I had were our windows. The windows we had before were the white vinyl windows with the grids inside. I liked them and thought they looked great. However, soon after we moved into our house. We started noticing that the windows were getting foggy. Then we started noticing that something that looked liked mold was growing between the panes. It started out on one window and quickly spread to 13 of the 15 windows. We looked all over the windows to find a manufacturer and couldn't find anything. The windows were only about five years old. We contacted the previous owners and they had no record of where the windows came from or who made them. We contacted the builder and again hit a dead end. This went on for over a year. In the meantime, the windows got increasingly worse. Final we decided we would replace them.

By this time I knew that I wanted to paint our house with the Colonial colors so I chose windows that were vinyl on the outside and wood on the inside. I also wanted the windows to have grids on the outside of the panes. I did not want the grids to be removable. This made painting more difficult, but I love the way they turned out.









As I type this post, my mom is making curtains for all the windows. You will have to check back to see how they turn out.

Thank you for visiting Yesterday Once More. I appreciate you stopping by and I hope you will come back as often as you can. Never forgot, "If you judge people, you have no time to love them."

All My Best,
~Dan~

20 comments:

Holly Hills Primitives said...

Love both your lights and windows - looking great! I have the sturbridge light in our dining area and have been so happy with it. Can't wait to see more eye candy! Dawn

prims by olde lady morgan said...

Dan,
Everything looks wonderful! You should be so proud! Have to love the lighting from Country Store, I am only about 20 minutes from their store. I think they loved it whenever they saw me coming last year with our remodel. Purchased a few lights and MANY switchplate covers! Love them all! So hard to find the right lights for our "look"... OLM

LibbiesHome said...

Love, love, love the new lighting - especially the witches hat ones! And I am pretty envious of the beautiful job you did with painting all those grids on the windows. Beautiful! Thanks for sharing and can't wait to see the curtains. :)

Michelle said...

I live very close to the Country Store of Geneva, they have great stuff! I love the Witches hats, they are awesome! You have done a great job Colonialising...
xoxo

Mumsy said...

Oh, my goodness!! The beauty just keeps coming. I think you made excellent choices in the lighting fixtures and I love those windows. I cannot wait to see the curtains your mom is making. People are not going to be able to breathe for awhile when they walk into your beautiful home, they are are going to be left breathless when their eyes behold the beauty. It is a work of art. Thank you for sharing more of your great talent and beautiful home.

Raspberry Lane Primitives said...

looks great Dan....Just love the way that the lights shine on the walls from the witches hats...very, very nice!

Tammy ~ A Primitive Place said...

Looks wonderful Dan!
Love the lights and the windows.
Tam

Audrey said...

Wonderful lighting choices...I have punched tin lights in my home and 12 years later I love them every bit as much as the day I bought them. Don't you just love the patterns they give off at night!
Your windows look great and so worth the work.

Cootie Bug Connie said...

Looks wonderful, well done! I love the prim look but our home isn't prim ... yet ... just moved here in Oct. and hubby told me I can do anything I want so nothing's impossible. You and others inspire me. Thanks!

renee said...

Dan, I really like all your lighting! It looks great! You have made everything look wonderful!
Have a great day!

NancyW said...

Love the lights, love love the colors of your home and just all together love love love your warm cozy home......so jealous:)

Nancy

Grammee Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

Dan you made perfect choices in both the windows and the lights!! I love the real divided panes - there is nothing like them!! They are on my wish list too! All the changes have added up to a wonderful new look!!

Have a great weekend!! Hugs!!

Deppen homestead 1862 said...

Hi, Dan!
Oh, I just simply love your taste! The light are perfect!
Everything looks so wonderful!
Your decorating style is always a pleasure to look at>>
enjoy the day
Teresa

SANDI said...

BEAUTIFUL. Love the Lights....Love the windows too.
sandraallen260@centurytel.net

Sharon said...

Dan I love the lights that you have put in your beautiful home.
I can't wait to see the curtains your mom comes up with.
I also posted my Word of the Week so I hope you drop by and read it.
Have a great weekend.

Barb said...

Gorgeous, as usual!! If you need additional lighting, try this site: http://www.handcrafted-artifacts.com. They are wonderful to work with, and I'm afraid you'll kick yourself when you see their prices compared to what you paid for yours:( Your home is looking more and more amazing. Barb

Sandy said...

Oh my...I am so loving everything you have chosen! I need to go back and re-look at all the pictures :)

The lights you chose are beautiful! I love the look and they fit just perfect into you new look.

I must admit though...you sure are one very patient person to paint all those grids! But boy they look awesome!

I will be looking for your new curtains...can't wait!

Wendy/TheCozyYellowHouse said...

It looks awesome Dan! It's amazing how quickly it all adds up when you are trying to add all those extras to get the look you want!! I found my witches hat light on ebay so if you ever need more lighting look on there. I can't wait to see your curtains!!:0) Have a wonderfully Blessed weekend!!

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

Wow Dan you really have it all together don't you. Everything you bought looks like the time period you are decorating in. Love these lights.
What a sweet mom to make curtains for all your rooms! I know they will be perfect.
Have you entered by giveaway yet. If not check it out
Love ya
Maggie

Sharon/primthyme said...

I love the lights & new windows.You did a wonderful job !
TY,for sharing.
Prim hugs & blessings,
Sharon