Wednesday, September 29, 2010

~Here's the Story~

I decided that I have kept you all in suspense long enough about what I have planned for our house. After we saw the saltbox this summer I kept saying to myself and to Jeff, "I want our house to look just like that." I loved everything about the saltbox. I remember when I first saw the saltbox in Country Living it was a dream of mine to live there. I spent most of the end of summer in disbelief that I might get the chance to live there. It is truly my dream house.

Unfortunately, we were not able to sell our house for the price we needed to. It was as simple as that. I hated that it did not work out for us and I spent many days and nights obsessing about it. I just hope that someone buys the saltbox that will love it as much as I do. If you are looking for a period looking home in Southern Illinois, it would be the perfect house for you. The attention to detail that the current owners placed in the house is wonderful. It is easy to see that the house has been loved and well taken care of.

When I was going through my funk, I woke up one morning and said to myself, "You are crazy! Most people would love to live in your house!" I was upset that no one would buy our house. Then I thought, "Maybe no one is buying it because you are not finished with it yet."

You all know how much I love to tweak, so my brain started twirling. I started thinking of houses that inspire me. The first one was the saltbox, then I thought of Janice's house (Stairway to Home), Karen's house (My Colonial Home), and Linda's house (Behind My Red Door). I thought about what these four houses had in common. They were all beautifully decorated and combined the primitive and Colonial look at the same time. In that moment I realized that I wanted to be Colonial!

So, here is the plan. I am painting the entire first level of our house. I am getting rid of the bright colors that I currently have. All the white trim will be a color and all the colored walls will be a neutral color. We are also going to replace all of our light fixtures with a more primitive or Colonial lighting. Plus, we are getting new windows. I told Jeff, "I want windows just like the saltbox has." That is what we are doing. The windows will be vinyl on the outside and wood on the inside. This will allow me to paint the windows the same color as the trim. I am really excited about all the changes and I cannot wait to show all of you. I really think it will make a huge difference!

Thank you for visiting Yesterday Once More. I appreciate you stopping by and I hope that you will continue to come back as often as you can. Always remember that decorating is a lot like life. Sometimes you have to shake things up to keep from getting in a rut.

All My Best,
~Dan~

26 comments:

Tanya said...

Congrats on your new big decision!!! I'm sure your house will look wonderful no matter how you decorate it!!! I sure have enjoyed viewing each and every room in the past and can't wait to see what all you do in the future!

Tanya~friendshipcrossing.blogspot.com

Susannah said...

Great decision, Dan. Sounds wonderful! Can not wait to see the progress! Good luck!

Friends,
Susannah

Colleen/And Baby Makes Five said...

I have no doubt that your colonial-inspired transformations will be magnificent, Dan! Have fun ... and enjoy this new beginning.

Janene said...

Don't you just LOVE when you have an "Awakening" like that?
I obsesse like that too! And for so long, I too, have dreamed of living in a saltbox...there is just something about them that I am instantly drawn to.
I think that what you are planning on doing sounds wonderful!
I like the idea of the new windows with the wood on the inside...I wish I would have thought about that before we bought our replacement windows (better purchase those before the end of the year so you can claim your energy tax credit :o)
I CAN NOT wait to see the outcome of your vision.
And I also wanted to congratulate you (late...I know) on your job as a writer and contributer to APP magazine. Your article on pantries was inspiring!

adsgram said...

WOW... now we will have so much to look forward to seeing in the weeks ahead. Sounds like a lot of work, but I know it will be just what you want before you know it, and I can't wait for the pictures..

Enjoy your 'journey'...

Lynne

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

this is going to be a great transformation to see..can't wait to see it all done..;)

Craftyperson said...

Congratulations on your new adventure Dan....How's the old saying go...Everything happens for a reason...Now your home can become the home of your dreams..
Good luck and keep us posted on how it coming along...
Prim hugs,
Trena

Mumsy said...

Oh, now I am more anxious than ever to see all you are doing...sounds gorgeous. Your home is already gorgeous and I cannot imagine how it could be any more so, but with your talent I suspect I will see great things. Happy painting and redoing! Hugs

A Primitive Homestead said...

Sounds like a great plan. I am sure I will love it & enjoy all your upcoming posts about it. Home is where you hang your heart. Enjoy!

Janice said...

I know your home will be so beautiful when you get done. I'm honored you like my house, I too love your home. But with your work ethic, creativity, and determination...your house will be everything you want it to be! If I lived closer I would drive over and crab a paint brush to help out. Good Luck and can't wait to see the transformation!!!!

ChristinaP said...

Wow...how exciting! I don't think it will be hard to transform your home. You have beautiful spaces, flooring, cabinetry and antiques....I think just a little bit of paint and lighting...and you'll be there. I'm so excited for you, I can't wait to see what ideas you come up with.

the black crow said...

Oh wow!! How exciting is that!!! I can only imagine how beautiful. You have a simply gorgeous home and what you are planning to do with it will make it absolutely STUNNING I am sure!

Can't wait for pictures!

hugs~
Lori

Grammee Linda said...

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!! I am so excited for you Dan!! (and a little jealous too-- you know how my DH likes his stained woodwork! LOL) No matter what you touch, you do well so I know the transformation is going to be amazing! It is a LOT of work indeed, but the joy you will feel in the end will be worth it. For folks like us, our homes are our havens and having the feeling you want is worth the effort!

prim hugs!!

Love My Country Home said...

Wow, what a big change. I love, love, love your house now! I would buy it if I was moving down that way. You've done such a beautiful job with your house now that I know whatever you do will be great!

LibbiesHome said...

Wow! I am so excited for you to be taking on such an amazing transformation for your house! And frankly that excitement is probably much in part because I will now get to see how that goes as I am ever so hopeful that you will be sharing progress as you go!
And I must say that this is a most spectacular way to deal with a funk!

Lydia said...

Wow Dan - that all sounds amazing!! Can't wait to see pictures.

Sandy said...

WOW...you will have a very large project ahead of yourself. I just think what we are in right now and so can't wait till it's all done.

We hired someone to do all the painting because hubby just doesn't have the time. If I wait for him, we will be Summer again...LOL.

I was even thinking about changing our windows, but I think we will wait since it is a major expense.

I can't wait to see all the changes...

Debbie said...

What a great decision! I think it will look fantastic once you get done with it. I can't wait to see your progress!

rockriverstitches said...

Dan, I think you have made the right decision. Painting a room can make a huge change. Can't wait to see your transfomation! I also love all those homes you named.

Tammy

Sharon said...

Dan
I love the look of your home now!!
I can not wait to see the makeover in progress.
Have a great day.

Lori said...

Your house is so nice. Making a decision can take a load of care and worry off your shoulders. Now you can concentrate on improving your home. That is what we all do because they are never done. Are they?

redesigngal said...

WOW, Dan! I am so excited for you. I just did the same thing...neutral walls and colored trim, big time, covering all the old white woodwork which I had removed. I replaced that with 1 x 4's on the sides, a 1 x 6 at the top and 6" deep windowsills. I love the simple look. I can't wait until you post pictures! Hugs, Joy

Lynn said...

How exciting!! I think your home will look real nice too once you do your transformation.. Needless to say, I love your home the way it looks now, but, like you mention, every once in awhile we need to shake things up a bit and do something different with what we already have! If not, we can get in a so called rut.. and we surely don't want to go there! I can't wait to see pictures of the new look Dan!! I know it's going to look beautiful and totally amazing!!

Blessings,
~Lynn

Life with L said...

Looking forward to seeing all those wonderful changes to your house. I found you on another blog, so here I am. My brother's name is Dan. My husband and I have 3 minature Schnauzers as well. In fact, one of them is a toy. Happy decorating! Linda

Martha said...

Oh wow, I cannot wait to see it all finished,I know it will be breathtaking! Dan, a house is like a cake, you put on the icing and it can be whatever you want it to be, wedding, birthday,anniversary. . .with the right touches you can make your home in the style you love. I once had country cute and about 15 years ago went back to my roots of Colonial!http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=22885421&uid=11931777 have a peek!

Olde Corps Primitives said...

Your home is prim tastic! I love it! I am in love with your red plaid couches! I want them!
Hugs,
Mandy