Thursday, August 12, 2010

Did I Watch Too Much Television as a Child?

There is so much talk today about the amount of television children watch. We all hear about parents who limit the amount of television their children watch. Everyone is afraid that too much television can be bad for children. People say that violent people watched violent shows when they were growing up.

I do not know if any of that is true, but I do know this. The television shows I watched as a child had an effect on me. I know that I am the decorator I am today because of the television shows I was addicted to as a child.

You may be asking yourself, "What shows are responsible for this? Who can we blame?" Well, here are the culprits. They all look a little suspicious to me.




The first one was Little House on the Prairie. Oh how I wanted to have loft bedroom! It looked so warm and cozy and how fun it would be to climb a ladder every night to go to bed. Remember when they added on the little kitchen for Ma? I loved that kitchen! I loved all the things in that house. If it hadn't been for the Ingalls maybe I wouldn't like some of the primitive items I like today.




The second shifting characters were the Waltons. They made living through the depression with too many kids to feed fun. I loved their long farmhouse table and all the wonderful kitchen items they had. The Hoosier was one of my favorite items. I know that when I look at many of the kitchen items that I collect, I can not help but think, "Goodnight, John Boy."





So, I guess to answer my own question, television does have an effect on children. I am just thankful that I was a child during the time when television was safe to watch and could make a child a better person and a fair decorator!





Thank you for visiting Yesterday Once More! I appreciate you stopping by and I hope that you will come back as often as you can. Never forget, "If it weren't for the fact that the TV set and the refrigerator are so far apart, some of us wouldn't get any exercise at all."

Goodnight Jeff...Goodnight Dan...Goodnight Parker...Goodnight Peyton...Goodnight Paycee Girl...Goodnight everybody!

20 comments:

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

I too loved those two shows and still do today..and I watch mostly now to see how they decorate..a movie/tv you would love is "young pioneers christmas"..now that was primitive..but oh so cozy..Good Night Dan..;)

Chris Fenwick said...

How lovely to step back in time ..."a little" surely it wasn't that long ago when this little 55 yr old Aussie watched all of the same shows ! and loved all of the same things :-)
Goodnight Dan..Goodnight..Jeff..Goodnight Parker...Goodnight Peyton...Goodnight Paycee Girl.
Hugs from Chris in Australia

♦Lynne♦Down Willow Lane♦ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
carolyn@primitive~devotion said...

Hi Dan!
I loved those shows too and still do. We also love The Andy Griffith Show! You are right, we were very blessed to be able to grow up in the era we did. We could actually go outside and play with having one of our parents watching over us!
Have a happy day!
~Carolyn

Primfills said...

Dan hi! OhhhHhh my gosh, I am right with you! I got the biggest kick out of your post! Everything rings so true with me. I can remember putting thick knitted tights on my head and pretending they were long Laura Ingalls hair braids! ha! I ran around outside all day with those tights on my head!

And who knew that when I grew up, I would have 7 kids just like Ma Walton! ha!

With love,
Jobeth xox

Loretta said...

Dan I loved those shows as a teen and still love them! I have a few more for you, one of which impressed me so much as a teen that I designed my kitchen after it. I love the house the Steven's lived in on Bewitched, but most of all I loved Lucy's Country Home in Connecticut which is the home I modeled my kitchen after. Thank you for the memories!

Debbie said...

I remember watching both of those shows as a child. I loved them. I think television was pretty tame compared what the kids today are watching. Maybe they should be running more shows like that again, huh?

When is school starting there in Illinois? I start work today here in Cape Girardeau at one of the local high schools. I can't its already starting here.

Take Care!
*hugs*
Debbie

Violet said...

I LOVED those shows! In fact, Little House is still a favorite!

Amy said...

Oh heavens! Those were my favorite two shows as a child, as well! I still get the DVDs on Netflix to watch them over and over again.

I think the "watching too much tv" with kids today could be re-phrased as "watching too much of worthless tv shows".

The Farmers Oldest Daughter said...

Hi Dan -

I think we are all in agreement that these were 2 great shows. So much fun to watch. Have a great day and upcoming weekend.

Good night everybody!!!

Joanne said...

Loved reading this post and everyone's comments too - brought back so many memories! Can you image if you grew up watching Trading Spaces or one of the newer decorating shows - Hmmm wonder what your tastes would be - eek let's hope not flowers nailed to the wall or glued on hay or feathers!

Lori said...

You have me searching for the meaning behind my collections now too. I loved all the shows you mentioned including Andy Griffith. You always manage to take me down a very happy memory lane.

Laura said...

Little House on the Prairie, Happy Days, Eight is Enough: these are the TV-shows I was addicted to!!
It's a pity that our TV doesn't run this kind of shows anymore....
Have a nice summer, Dan!
Laura

SusieD said...

Love your blog and your decorating! We have the same taste. Waltons and Little House On the Prairie were also two of my favorite shows growing up. In fact, the Waltons house is my dream house. Also, love the farmhouse table!

Susan

Primitive Memories said...

I love both of those shows! If only we had more shows on now like the Waltons and Little House. I miss a good family show that takes place in the olden days. They might have been simple shows, no special effects or action but they were and are the best shows!

Heather

lakeffect said...

Little House had a great influence on me, too. I loved the schoolhouse scenes, and became a first grade teacher. Now retired, I volunteer in an 1877 two room school, and teach all subjects in a half day to fourth graders on field trips. It is fun to use the old style methods and materials! They like to write on the old-fashioned slates, but the favorite is always the penmanship lesson when they can dip pens into ink to write! Students must stand to recite, and cannot speak unless I call on them! Quite a difference from 21st century teaching.

Chris said...

Dan...I am wondering if there is such a thing as EVER watching too much Little House on the Prairie???....lol

I am certain that it had a definite influence on my decorating and crafting styles......"lansakes" if prairie bonnets, calicoes and lemon verbena were still in vogue ...I'd still be wearing them...hee hee.

Love your blog ......ohhh...and 'nite John-Boy !

ddogood said...

I hear you Dan. You are so right. I loved watching both of those shows. I still watch the Little House on the Prairie re-runs. I wish they would put the Waltons back on, too.

Good Night.. Grandpa...

Donna

Benita said...

Hi Dan ~ I thought of you today when I was Little House on The Prairie ~ it was a Christmas special and they were all so happy with the peppermint stick they got & a shiny new cup, the house was all decorated with pine branches all over, and a turkey was roasting in the fireplace, there was snow up to the roof.... ahhhh, the good ole days !!
Luvs ~n~ Hugs
Benita

Melissa Jo - mjp photography said...

WOW Dan, you totally picked my 2 all time favorite shows to watch when I was growing up...I had to go out and get the Walton's seasons on DVD just to get my "Walton's Fix"....Love it, and love your decorating! Can't wait to see the new house too! God Bless!