Monday, April 26, 2010

Instead

I read this poem today and I really liked what it said. I thought you might enjoy it too!




Instead

Do not think of what you do not have;
Instead, appreciate what you have and can still have.

Do not thing of things lost;
Instead, value what you still have and my yet find.

Do not cry over spilled milk;
Instead, rejoice in what was left.

Do not think of what you are not;
Instead, be humble with what you are and can still become.

Do not think of what other say you are;
Instead, concern yourself with what you affirm to be.

Do not think of the hours and days past;
Instead, look eagerly to times that are yet to come.

Do not think of what you failed to do;
Instead, think of those that you were able to do and can still do.

Do not think of mistakes committed;
Instead, count the things you did right.

Do not think much of the pain you have caused;
Instead, plan for ways to make amends.

Do not think of the suffering you now bear;
Instead, look to the comfort when relief draws near.

Do not consume yourself with thoughts of what could have been;
Instead, marvel at what has become and will become.

Do not be anxious to attain greater happiness;
Instead, content yourself with the little things which bring you bliss.

Do not aspire to fill your cup at once;
Instead, have the patience to do it little by little.

And if by chance you fail, do not fret over the empty part on top;
Instead, celebrate the space filled up.

Do not condemn nature when it is at its worst;
Instead, think of the times when it was at its best.

Do not blame luck for things you miss;
Instead, learn from things in which you have been remiss.

Nor should your curse luck or others for life's misfortunes;
Instead, accept them as part of life.

I say then, Live fully, die a little,
Learn much but question less.

Have just enough but give much more,
Be contented each time to crave much less.

Doubt less and affirm a lot,
Understand more, and be understood less.

Worry a little but hope you must,
Accept all, resist the least.

For all things happen,
In due time they must.

By:
~P.E. Calleja~

I hope all of you are having a wonderful week and that you are taking time to enjoy the little things in life.

My Best to You Always,
~Dan~


12 comments:

Traci66 said...

How neat. What a great way to look at things.

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

So very true...a great way to look at life...it's kind of like being a glass half full person instead of a glass half empty person, isn't it? :)

Blessings,
Tammy

primdoll said...

very nice dan!!!! Big prim hugs, Amy♥

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

Thanks for the smile..have a wonderful week.;)

COLONY HOMESTEAD said...

this is all soo true..if everyone could live life with those words, just think of how much more happiness it would be in this world...thanks for this..great words of wisdom indeed.

Karen/My Colonial Home said...

Thanks Dan...you always brighten up my day...
Hugs, karen

Colleen/And Baby Makes Five said...

How uplifting to finally catch up with you today, Dan. The perfect reads for a dreary, rainy day.

The post that struck me most was the one about "Rose." I was blessed to know someone who was very much like her. We met when I first began teaching back in the fall of 1997. I was fresh out of college and she was in her late 70s. She was working as an Ed Tech in the Special Ed Dept. and she was a cracker jack, always dressed to the nines. Her love of life and zest for learning were boundless, as were her energy and enthusiasm. Her name was Lyla.

I was teaching Middle School Spanish and Lyla was planning her first ever trip to a dude ranch in AZ for April break. So, of course, she audited my classes. She wanted to impress the ranch hands with her Spanish. (Which she later did in spades!) She was one of my best and most endearing students. Ever.

We became close friends and she shared some incredible stories and knowledge with me during my two years at Freeport Middle School. When I moved up the coast, we wrote weekly letters and I learned even more about this amazing woman. I still treasure those letters today. And I miss the ritual of writing and receiving them.

Lyla passed away a few years ago, well into her 80s. It was a hard loss, but it was tempered by the fact that she truly lived "until her toes turned up" (one of her favorite sayings) and died peacefully in her sleep.

We should all be so lucky to have that kind of inspiration in our lives. Thanks for bringing those sweet memories to the forefront this morning, Dan.

Debbie said...

Thank you Dan!

*hugs*
Debbie

Melissa Miller said...

Dan this is so nice! I love it! *Smiles*

Lynn said...

Dan, how true this is! Thanks Dan!

Have a great day!

Blessings,
~Lynn

purensimple said...

What a beautiful poem Dan. I printed this out and now have it hung on my refridgerator so I can see it daily to be thankful for what God has blessed me with. I also sent this to a few friends that I thought would also enjoy this. You always seem to know when I need alittle spritual lifting....so thank you from the bottom of my hearts for being such an inspiration my friend! Hugs ♥T

janet said...

Thank you, Dan..You have a great week..