Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Hi handsome. My name is Rose.

I received this in an e-mail a few days ago and I thought it had a very important message for all of us. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.


The first day of school our
professor introduced himself
and challenged us to get to know
someone we didn't already know.
I stood up to look around when a
gentle hand touched my shoulder.

I turned around to find a
wrinkled, little old lady beaming
up at me with a big smile that lit up
her entire being.

She said, "Hi handsome. My
name is Rose. I'm eighty-seven
years old. Can I give you a hug?"

I laughed and enthusiastically
responded, "Of course you may!"
And she gave me a giant squeeze.

"Why are you in college at such a
young, innocent age?" I asked.

She jokingly replied, "I'm here
to meet a rich husband, get
married, and have a couple of kids..."

"No seriously," I asked. I was
curious what may have
motivated her to be taking on
this challenge at her age.

"I always dreamed of having a
college education and nor I'm
getting one!" she told me.

After class, we walked to the
student union building and
shared a chocolate milkshake.

We became instant friends.
Every day for the next three
months we would leave class
together and talk nonstop. I was
always mesmerized listing to
this "time machine" as she
shared her wisdom and
experience with me...

Over the course of the year,
Rose became a campus icon and
she easily made friends
wherever she went. She loved to
dress up and she reveled in the
attention bestowed upon her
from the other students. She
was living it up.

At the end of the semester, we
invited Rose to speak at our
football banquet. I'll never
forget what she taught us. She
was introduced and stepped up
to the podium. As she began to
deliver her prepared speech, she
dropped her three by five cards
on the floor.

Frustrated and a little
embarrassed she leaned into the
microphone and simply said, "I'm
sorry I'm so jittery. I have up
beer for Lent and this whiskey is
killing me! I'll never get my
speech back in order so let me
just tell you what I know."

As we laughed she cleared her
throat and began, "We do not
stop playing because we are old;
we grow old because we stop
playing.

There are only four secrets to
staying young, being happy, and
achieving success. You have to
laugh and find humor every day.
You've got to have a dream.
When you lose your dreams, you die.

We have so many people walking
around who are dead and don't
even know it!

There is a huge difference
between growing older and
growing up.

If you are nineteen years old
and lie in bed for one full year
and don't do one productive
thing, you will turn twenty years
old. If I am eighty-seven years
old and stay in bed for a year
and never do anything I will turn
eighty-eight.

Anybody! Can grow older. That
doesn't take any talent or
ability. The idea is to grow up by
always finding opportunity in
change. Have no regrets.

The elderly usually don't have
regrets for what we did, but
rather for things we did not do.
The only person who dear death
are those with regrets..."

She concluded her speech by
courageously singing "The Rose."

She challenged each of us to
study the lyrics and live them
out in our daily lives. At the
year's end, Rose finished the
college degree she had begun all
those months ago.

One week after graduation Rose
died peacefully in her sleep.

Over two thousand college
students attended her funeral in
tribute to the wonderful woman
who taught by example that it's
never too late to be all you can
possibly be.

Remember, Growing older
is mandatory. Growing
up is optional. We make a
living by what we get. We make
a life by what we give.

God promises a safe landing, not
a calm passage. If God brings
you to it, He will bring you
through it.

"Good friends are like stars...
...You don't always see them,
but you know they are always there."

My Best to You Always...My Good Friends,
~Dan~



23 comments:

michelle said...

what a wonderful story!the rose is my all time favorite and ive made sure when i pass that my family knows to play that song for all to hear.great story.

Holly Hills Primitives said...

Thank you for such a touching post. It was beyond wonderful. Hope you week is filled with love and happiness, Dawn

The Brickhouse said...

When I read your blog, you make me feel good, you make me stop and think, you inspire me, you make me believe that there are good people in the world. I am glad that I got to know you by reading your blog...you are a blessing and I am blessed by getting to know you...thank you for what you do!
~Patti~

The Crafty Crow said...

Best way I could have possibly ended my evening, thanks for such an uplifting, inspiring story.
Blessings,
~Ronda~

Sheila said...

Thank you Dan for sharing this wonderful story!
~Blessings to you and yours,
Sheila

Susannah said...

You are a STAR, Dan!

Friends,
Susannah

Pam said...

Thanks for sharing this! Your blog is always so inspirational=) Have a great day!!!

Holli~Where The Rooster Crows said...

That was a great story! Love it! And thanks for your kind comments on my blog.

Donna~One Simple Country Girl said...

Thanks for sharing this story Dan, and for always encouraging us to be all we can be! You are a wonderful person and someone I'm proud to call my friend! Have a great day!
Hugs,
Donna

Linda* ~ TheKeepingroom said...

Love the story, thank you for sharing.
Blessings,
Linda*

Grammy Linda / Behind My Red Door said...

I have always loved that email. It certainly is a good reminder to make the most of the time we are given here on earth. Thank you fr that reminder - we can never hear it often enough!!

Angela said...

Thank you Dan for sharing this.I got goose bumps reading this.

Debbie said...

Thank you Dan for another inspirational post. I loved it. It reminds me how precious life is and how special everyone is that walks through it with us.

*hugs*
Debbie

taylors*farmhouse*attic said...

You always inspire me when I visit your blog!!...Thank you for sharing!!Have a blessed day!!~~hugs,Jen

Mumsy said...

Wonderful, inspiring story. Than you for sharing it. Hugs!

Lori said...

Thanks for sharing such an inspirational story. If that doesn't light a fire under somebody nothing will.

Jo-Anne said...

This really touched my heart. What a wonderful message. Thanks, Dan. :)

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

Those are wonderful words of wisdom! I want to live my life like Rose! Thanks for sharing, Dan!

Tammy

thesimpledaze said...

Thanks so much for sharing what a true and great message.Here I am just a year and 7 months from turning 60 and part of me was wondering if I am getting too old to start redoing my house going for the cottage look instead of the primitive.I have already started the kitchen and I love the look but the whole entire house but the younger part of me is saying ahh heck go for it Judy you only live once.Now after reading your blog and listening to Rose's message I am going all the way soon as the kitchen is complete I will start the dining room then my bedroom and maybe by fall the living room.This is going to be fun looking for all new kinds of treasures.Thanks Dan for helping inspire me.

Patti said...

so eloquent....and so true. thank you!

janet said...

Dan, how you always find a way to move your readers is so insightful on your part..I love reading your blog and am so glad to of found you..Have a great weekend and how is that little addition doing..More photos please..

carolyn@primitive~devotion said...

OMGosh! Pass the tissue please! What a wonderful post, Dan!

Jackie said...

Dan,
As I read this, I have tears in my eyes and a smile on my face. This is so so beautiful. Thank you kindly for sharing with us! Have a blessed weekend!
Jackie