Monday, March 22, 2010

Top Five Favorites

For today's post, I thought it would be fun to give you my top five favorite actresses, actors, and movies. I thought this would be a good opportunity to give my new readers a chance to get to know me better. I hope you enjoy the lists.

Top Five Favorite Actresses:

Doris Day: Who doesn't love Doris Day? To me she epitomizes the late '50s and early '60s. She was so cute and talented. Doris Day began her career as a dancer, but due to a car accident she could not achieve that dream. She became a singer and later an actress. She has a beautiful singing voice and is an advocate for animals.

Judy Garland: Millions of people have grown up watching Judy Garland in the Wizard of Oz. Most people only know her for this movie and for her tragic death. Judy Garland was a great actress and a wonderful singer. If you have never checked out her other movies, you really should.


Grace Kelly: Grace Kelly only made a handful of movies during her career. The fact that she is so recognizable today speaks for her talent.



Katharine Hepburn: She is one of the most celebrated actresses of our time. She was the only actor to every win four Academy Awards.



Marilyn Monroe: In my opinion, people never took Marilyn Monroe as seriously as they should have. It takes a lot of talent to act dumb, and she did it so well.


Top Five Favorite Actors:

Cary Grant: Cary Grant was the pure definition of suave and debonair. The fact that he could act was an extra bonus.


James Stewart: He was a talented actor and deemed the average man by director Alfred Hitchcock.



Bing Crosby: The "crooner" took a leap into acting and later went on to win an Academy Award for his role in Going My Way.




Gene Kelly: He was one of the best dancers of all time, who went on to direct the movie Hello Dolly.



Rock Hudson: He was a truck driver turned actor who was most famous for his movies with Doris Day.


Pillow Talk: One of the best movies Doris Day and Rock Hudson made together. Doris Day was nominated for an Academy Award for this movie.


All About Eve: Until Titanic, All About Eve held the record for the most Academy Award nominations. Bette Davis and Anne Baxter star in this movie about what goes on behind the scenes of an aging actress.


Guess Who's Coming To Dinner: This was Spencer Tracy's last movie. It was a ground breaking movie about an interracial couple who are going to be married.


How To Marry A Millionaire: This movie is about three young women determined to marry a millionaire. It stars Marilyn Monroe, Lauren Bacall, and Betty Grable.


That Touch of Mink: This is another great movie with Doris Day. This time she stars with Cary Grant. I love the scenes at the auto-mat with Audrey Meadows

I hope you all enjoyed my top five favorites. I hope you were not too board.

I always wanted to share with you that I was the winner of Jen's drawing. The name of her blog is Taylor's Farmhouse Attic. She has a beautiful house that will be featured in the May edition of Country Sampler. Jen makes sticheries and she does a wonderful job. You can check out her blog here.

Here are the goodies that I won. Aren't they great?

Maggie from Just Between Me and You asked me to write about myself for one of her "blogazine" entries. She has a great blog, and you will enjoy your visit. To visit her blog and read my article, click here.

Thank you for visiting Yesterday Once More. I appreciate you making it part of your day. I hope that you are all having a relaxing evening and get rejuvenated for the week ahead. Thank you all for your nice comments and e-mails. That means a great deal to me. Never forget to life each day to its fullest.

Take Care!
~Dan~

20 comments:

Jackie said...

What a wonderful post Dan!! I would have loved to live in the day where these wonderful people were "it". I posted some Photos today titled "Forgotten Photos". It has some of the same actors/actresses in it!
Have a wonderful week and thank you for a great post!
Jackie

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

Dan we could easily be related...all of these are my top 10 except may one and I am not telling...lol
You are up and running as I type this to you and I am off to bed to read your magazine...
Thanks again
Maggie

The Happy Homemaker said...

Oh! I love That Touch of Mink,How To Marry A Millionaire,absolutely ADORE Cary Grant and Marilyn Monroe...and the divine Gregory Peck.I love how he smiles at Audrey in Roman Holiday...{{{ahhhh}}}
Never realized Mr. Gene Kelly was so dreamy...Wow, this was a fun post.Very nice,hope you have a wonderful day!
~Wendy:)

studio girl said...

I share your love and interest in great min DORIS DAY! Enjoyed your blog and wanted to tell you and ALL Doris Day fans about the weekly DORIS DAY & FRIENDS radio show from FredNetRadio - this station can be heard world-wide by going to: www.frednetradio.com
Click on Listen Here Now
FredNetRadio chose MIKE DeVITA, a long-time friend and fan of Miss Day to host this great radio show - The live show is on Sundays @ 3:00PM (EST) with an encore @ 8:00PM and Midnight on Wednesdays. Mike gives great commentary about Doris and her music and he plays at least 20+ songs and often more if the show goes way longer than an hour. It is definitely musical history with DORIS DAY all the way! People are listening all over the world and enjoying music the way it should be - the DORIS DAY way. FredNetRadio plays awesome music all day long - the very BEST from the 40s, 50s and 60s - from the Beach Boys, Frank Sinatra, Connie Francis, all the groups in the 60s and of course, DORIS DAY! She is featured at least 2 or more times every hour, and then of course during her special show, she is singing the whole show!
A heads up for April 3rd - there will be a very special DORIS DAY BIRTHDAY SHOW on her actual birthday, Saturday, April 3rd, from 1:00PM to 4:00PM (EST).

You can call in your personal birthday wish to Doris by calling toll free: 1-877-846-9180

Your birthday wish will be heard on the show and then a CD will be sent to Doris later.

FredNetRadio and Mike DeVita are planning some exciting things for everyone who loves Doris. Tell all your friends about FredNetRadio and enjoy radio the way it should be - with great music 24/7.

Mary Anne
studiogirl1944@yahoo.com
www.dayatatimesentimentaljourney.com

Shelly said...

Dan,

Lovely story and post on Maggies site. I am now a follower.

BUT I have to say this and please don't take it wrongly, the TEXT is hard to read! I could barely read Maggies sidebar

And forgive these 53yo eyes, but there is NO way I can read the comments above mine- I saw Maggies icon/photo, but cant read a word of what she wrote, nor the other posts, even with my readers! Just thought you should know!

It was wonderful hearing your story and you look to have a happy and loving home with your partner and the pooches,,,,,,,I love the little bed at the foot of the Master bed,,,,,,hmmmm for the fur babies, perhaps?

I'm having a little giveaway over at my blog, if you want to "hop" over and say hi!

I'm following and I hope you don't take my comments to harshly, they were only meant to help, not criticize!

Hugs,
Shell

Dan said...

Thanks for letting me know Shelly! Are any of the other readers having trouble reading my posts? Do I need to change the colors? Let me know what you think. Thanks!

~Dan~

Rugs and Pugs said...

Dan ~ What a fun post! Congrats on winning Jen's goodies. I am jealous.
I have no trouble reading your blog, but I agree with Shelly. The comments are very difficult to read and my eyes are older than hers...lol!
Keep up the great posts.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

thesimpledaze said...

Dan I can read it fine. LOVED GOING DOWN MEMORY LANE WITH DORIS DAY MOVIES MY FAVORITE IS THE ONE WHERE SHE COMES BACK TO HER HUSBAND AFTER BEING STRANDED ON AN ISLAND AND EVERYONE THOUGHT SHE WAS DEAD.Can't remember the name of it probably because of old age lol.

Holli~Where The Rooster Crows said...

Congrats on winning the giveaway! And thanks for sharing all those fun actors and actresses....kind of makes some of the *now* people in movies look a little flakey!!

Holly Hills Primitives said...

Those were the days! Sometimes I wish we could go back to movies like that. Thanks for sharing some great old memories, Dawn

Kissed by an Angel said...

Love all those stars!!! good choices!!! Just popped by from Maggie's blog after reading your story!! I really enjoyed it!!
xxxx

Susannah said...

Great post, Dan. I love Doris Day and Rock Hudson! They were so cute together! I love that you reminded us about these old movies, too.
Susannah

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

just read your story over at Just between you and me and lovfed it!!..I also loved this post..I LOVE Doris Day and love watching her movies...she is such a pretty lady..have a most wonderful day..and thanks for the uplifting entrys..:)

Never So Simple said...

My daughter and I loved Doris Day in Don't Eat the Daisies. It's a great family movie. One thing about the classic movies they are appropriate for all ages.

Donna

Suzanne-Poplar Street Prims said...

Wow! What a wonderful trip down Memory Lane! I enjoyed this so much! Thanks for sharing.

artangel said...

Hi Dan
I came across your site from your lovely post on Maggie's blog - great read, and great to meet you!

I love your old movie choices - I'd have to add the rather wonderful Bette Davis to the list though I think!

Mom2fur said...

My favorite Doris Day movie is "The Man Who Knew Too Much." I get choked up every time her little boy starts to whistle "Que Sera, Sera" at the end--not to give too much away. It's definitely a movie worth watching!

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

I remembered from the CS forum that you liked Doris Day....from your quote!

You know I've never seen "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner", and was just looking at that on Netflix the other day. I need to watch it!

Enjoyed reading your list! Made me stop and think about my favorites!

Blessings!
Tammy

Tamera @ the Stone Fence Cottage said...

Loved your top 5's!!

One of my all time fav movies is Auntie Mame with Roz Russell--hysterical!!!

Black Cat Cottage said...

Have had a crush on Jimmy Stewart forever and wasn't Grace Kelly lovely? A princess through and through. Hepburn and Tracy are amazing in "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner." Beah Richards and Roy Glenn as the parents of Sidney Poitier's character are wonderful. What a great film.
Thanks for a wonderful blog - I just found you through A Primitive Place and look forward to reading more. Hugs to those doggies.

JuLee (blackcatscottage.com)