Sunday, February 21, 2010

Our Barn & Chicken Coop

Since the weather has started to warm up here, I thought this would be a good time to show some more pictures of the barn and the chicken coop. I sent Jeff out armed with the camera to take some pictures. I think he did a pretty good job.

Our house was built on the site of an old farm. The farm had orchards and greenhouses. Many years ago, the entire area that is now our neighborhood was the farm. As the years went by, the family started selling off parts of the land. The land our house sits on was one of the
last to be sold. The couple who built our house bought the land and built the house about five years ago. The land that the barn and chicken coop was on was still owned by the family who once had the farm. The lady who owned the land was very old by this time, but she still did not want to sell the land where the barn was located. About a year before we bought the house, the lady finally agreed to sell this final parcel of land to the couple who built our house. Sadly, she passed away this past May. It would have been so interesting to hear her stories about the barn and what the land was like before it was divided up and sold. They were going to have the chicken coop torn down, but didn't get to it before we bought the house. I am so glad they didn't. One day, I would love to have a craft/antique store in the barn. I think that would be a lot of fun! So, here are some pictures of the barn and chicken coop:

These are some exterior shots of the barn. I love the porch on the right side of the barn. I would love to sit some chairs there this summer and rock the days away. Just Jeff, me, and the P's!


This is a picture of the beams in the barn. I love the wooden pegs that hold everything together. Does anyone know how old the barn is? Since it has wooden pegs, I think it must be at least 100 years old. Am I correct?


This is an old bed that I found in the barn. One day, I hope to refinish it and use it in the house. I am thinking about turning into a bench.


Jeff's dad built stairs to the barn loft this summer and reinforced the floor so that Jeff could use the barn to store his Christmas trees. There must be a hole in the roof to allow rain into the loft, because the trees keep sprouting up...lol! His dad also put floors in the first level of the barn. Before he did, it had a dirt floor.


This is the exterior of the chicken coop. It is in bad shape, but I am hoping to restore it some to give it a longer life.

These are some interior shots of the chicken coop. Inside I found a couple of old windows that I cleaned up and now use inside the house as accents. There is also an old door out there that I would like to do something with. Right now, I am thinking about making it some kind of screen. I sure am glad I have summers off. I have made quite a list for myself today...lol!

Thank you for visiting Yesterday Once More! I hope you enjoyed the tour of our barn and chicken coop. I appreciate all of your wonderful comments and e-mails. They always brighten my day and make me feel very special. I hope that all of you are having a relaxing Sunday, and are spending it with the people that you love. Do your best to use this day to refresh yourself to face the world this week. Always remember that you are a very special, valued, and loved person.

Take Care!
~Dan~

29 comments:

Andy said...

Loved the tour the barn and chicken coop are awesome!- thanks for sharing your pics.. will you share some sunshine too? :) Its so dreary in Oklahoma!

Ann said...

Dan - How lucky you were to get the 2 remaining structures original to the property! With a little (or maybe a lot!) of TLC the chicken coop could be home to a couple of egg layers. I just might over to sit on the front porch of the barn with you! ~Ann

Red Shed Primitives said...

Wow! What a treasure you have. Thanks for the tour. Jeff did a great job with the pictures. Have a great week.
~Aaron~

purensimple said...

Beautiful pictures Jeff! That old barn sure would make an awesome store...I can only imagine the plans you would have for it!!! Isn't it great to own a piece of history...if only those old walls could talk! Have a wonderful weekend.
Hugs, Theresa

Tomatoe Creek Prims said...

Just loved your tour...it would make a wonderful prim store:) Love that chicken coop too!

Rondell

Janene said...

Dan~You are living my dream, with the old barn and the old chicken coop!
I too have a dream of someday opening a small shop to sell some of my prim crafts.
Here is to making all of our dreams come true!
Have a great Sunday!

The Farmers Oldest Daughter said...

Great pictures. I would think the barn is over 100 years ago since it is built with pegs. That isn't done anymore. Once you get it all done, have us all over for tea and cookies on the barn porch. That would be so much fun and we could all meet each other. I am positivey you would make a great host.

Karen/My Colonial Home said...

Wow Dan, what great buildings.
I clicked on each of them so they would come in large so I could see the detail...these buildings are great!
And what we wouldn't give to have a place for all our trees...very lucky.
Thanks for sharing.

P.S. OMGOSH I FINALLY RECEIVED THE CS MAGAZINE....CONGRATULATIONS TO BOTH OF YOU - A GREAT FEATURE!
Karen

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

Hey Dan, I love!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that barn and coop...love it...I would love to have a big barn some day to be able to do gift shows in them or an antique shop...oh just use it as my studio...Thanks for sharing these great treasures on your property..I also love the photo on the side bar of you and Jeff and the P's..love how it has been colored..have a most enjoyable rest of your sunday with them. and have a great week ahead.:)

Colleen/And Baby Makes Five said...

What a wonderful piece of history to have right there in your backyard, Dan! You and Jeff are clearly a pair of prudent and caring stewards. It will be fun to see what you do with these spaces in time. Oh, to have a craft shop...

Have a good week! We're returning to the routine tomorrow after a week's worth of February vacation. It's time...

Carla said...

Hi Dan! I think the barn would make a great shop. Let me know when it's ready and I'll come down and go shopping. :-) I love old farm buildings and glad you plan to restore them. Keep us updated on your progress.
Carla

JenR65 said...

Thanks for sharing these pictures, both structures have great bones and I can see you really making something great out of them some day!!

Lynne said...

What a wonderful structure!There's so much character in it.It'd be interesting to learn about the area way back when.Maybe there is still someone still nearby that can offer more info.It's such a shame when the history of a place is lost when someone passes away.You're both very lucky to have such a wonderful home.Will you eventually keep chickens?I bet Peyton and Parker would love to help with them!!:) Thanks for sharing your photos.

Dana~HomespunTreasures said...

Dan thank you so much for the tour!!! Jeff did a great job on the pictures. You are very fortunate to have these treasures in your back yard. I can't wait to see what you do with them. I'm the Hospitality Coordinator over at the APP forum and I approved a new account the other day and the account name was Dan was that you? I sure hope so!!! We would LOVE to have you join us!!! Hope you have a GREAT week,

Blessings,
Dana

Pieced Pastimes said...

Love your barn! There is nothing like a great old barn. Here in NH, we have plenty!

Kaaren said...

What a perfect structure for an antique shop! It looks like it's in great shape.

I would love to help you decorate the outside porch area of the barn, Dan...old enamelware vessels filled with colorful annuals, rusty farm implements, buck benches with crocks and a bee skep...and oh so much more.

What an amazing piece of property. I'm sure that the original owners are resting peacefully knowing that it's being well taken care of. Enjoy your week.

The Sacco's - Our Life said...

What a lovely barn - great pictures of both buildings. If you could create a craft/antique store out of one of those barns to make it look like your house, it would be a hit!

Sheila said...

What can I say that hasn't been said by others? Truly a site to behold while drinking my first cup of coffee this morning while it is -1 degree here! Thank you for sharing these beautiful pictures of your home and property with all of us. Wonderful post.
I'm sure your head is full of ideas for your barn turned antique/gift shop some day!
Blessings to you and yours.

LeeHillPrimitives said...

LOve, love those pictures.You and Jeff are so blessed to have that treasures in your land . Beautiful!

Benita said...

I love your barn and chicken coop Dan, and I just see you have a wonderful country antique store in that barn, and people will come from miles around just to see your wonderful displays and treasures !! You are such a treasure yourself, have a great week my friend !
LUVS~N~HUGS
Benita

PAT said...

J and I lived on his family's farm for 20 years. He lived on that farm for almost 60 years. This post is very close to my heart.

I love old barns and enjoy photographing them, when given a chance. There is an organization in Missouri that promotes the preservation of old barns. I have just recently heard about it and plan to do some research.

I would say your barn is at least 100 years old. The photos are wonderful!

Absolutely love this post! Thank you!

Lisa said...

Wow, what a great tour!! Too funny about the Christmas trees, but I have to admit that I have lots of trees as well. I guess you can never have too many (lol).

Have a wonderful week!!

~Lisa

Wolfie said...

Love the barn and coop.

Can you share pics of the windows you use in your home (that you mention in this post)?

I love old windows and use them in several ways around my home as well.

Thanks and keep up the fabulous job on the blog!!!

WOLFIE

Tamera said...

I loved the tour of the barn and chicken coop--awesome. I LOL at Jeff's trees' "sprouting"--I have the same problem in the basement (so my hubby says)
I'm anxious to see your home in the country Sampler!!

Tamera at The Stone Fence Cottage

Linda* ~ TheKeepingroom said...

Love the barn!
How lucky you are to have it.
You should decorate it at Christmas. I can just see fresh pine trees with white lights,fresh greens and old fram tools.
It would be beautiful!

Kim~HomeIsWhereTheHeartIs said...

What a great barn and chicken coop you have!

Debra said...

Your barn is wonderdul! And the chicken coop will be too when you are done with it!

Willow said...

Ohhhh I just loveeee loveeee loveeee the barn and coop Dan ! Jeff did a terrific job with the pics ! You are sooo lucky to have not 1 but 2 lovely gems. The barn must be at least 100 to 150 yrs old easily. Wow the stories it could tell if only it coud speak ! It would be a perfect place for an antique store. I'd sooo enjoy sittin out there on that porch myself ! Got an extra chair ? I'll come for a visit ;0)
Thanks for sharing your lovely pieces of history with us.
Prim Huggs n Blessins
TJ

janet said...

An idea for your old door is to make it into a chair...My husband did this for me...If you like I could e-mail you some photos...Very easy to make...Lovin your blog