Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Love of a Mother

"Mothers are the most instinctive philosophers." ~Harriet Beecher Stowe~

With the death of my sister-in-law's mother, I have been thinking a lot about my mother. I have been thinking about how blessed I am to have her in my life and what a wonderful mother she is. I thought this would be a good time to tell you a little about my mom.

My mom was the youngest of two children. She was born on September 25, 1949. Her childhood was very normal. The only dramatic event in her childhood was her parents divorce in 1960. She met my dad in high school and they were married on September 16, 1967. My mom was only 17 when she got married, but they were afraid my dad would have to go to Vietnam, so they got married. My dad was lucky and was stationed in North Dakota. My mom miscarried her first baby in 1969. She then gave birth to my oldest brother in 1970, me in 1972, and my younger brother in 1978. She always wanted a little girl, but she never did get one until her first grandchild was born in 2006.

My mom was a stay at home mom for most of my childhood. There was a short time when my dad was laid off from his job that my mom worked outside the home. For the most part she was there for us. My mom was a strict mom, but she loved all of us and wanted us to be the best people we could be. My mom raised all three of her boys to know how to take care of themselves. She taught us to cook, do laundry, iron, and clean. She wanted us to be independent and not to have to depend on someone else to take care of us.

She wanted all of us to go to college and helped us all achieve that goal. My older brother is a junior high school social studies teachers, you know what I do, and my younger brother is a lawyer.

My mom always taught us that some one's beauty was inside. She always says, "Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clear to the bone." She taught us to not to judge people by how they look or what they have or don't have. She always told us to look for the inner beauty in people. She taught us to care for people, to be thoughtful, and to always show appreciation to people.

My mom is one of the most thoughtful people I know. When she buys a gift for someone she doesn't go out and buy something. Everything she does for people has thought behind it. She makes all of us a "special gift" at Christmas. She has done this for years and everything she made has a special meaning to its recipient. She is also very talented. She draws, she quilts, and she sews. She has made me things over the years that are unbelievable. I keep telling her she could sell the things she makes, but she hasn't done it. I guess I will have to open a craft store to encourage her to sell some of her creations. In a later post, I will post pictures of all the items that my mother has made me. You will be impressed.

Most of all my mother loves me and accepts me. We love doing the same things and love spending time together. As I have gotten older, and have my own life, it has become harder for us to do things together. When we do, we always have a wonderful time. I am so blessed to have such a wonderful mother, and I could never thank her enough for all that she has done for me.

Thank you for visiting Yesterday Once More. I appreciate all your wonderful comments and e-mails concerning the death of my sister-in-law's mother. You prayers and concern are very much appreciated. I hope that all of you are having a wonderful evening, and that you are spending it with the people you love the most!

Take Care!
~Dan~

25 comments:

Carla said...

What a wonderful son you are! I'm sure your Mother feels equally blessed. Can't wait to see the things she has made for you.
Have a great night!

thesimpledaze said...

Dan after reading a couple of your post for the first time I knew you had to have a great mom.You are so kind and thoughtful with your post each time and there is always a message in each one I love that.You are very talented in the way you decorate your home.I also think you are a great teacher just by the way you talk about you students the wonderful and funny stories you share with all of us.You are a very special person and I knew this had to of started when you were young at home.So may I say thank you to your MOM for doing such a wonderful job with 3 great successful guys.What a GAL!!!

LeeHillPrimitives said...

Hi Dan, We don't know your mother until today but I am sure that she do the best with you and your brothers. The form that you wrote your awesome posts, shows what the type of person that live inside you. I think she do a great job, you looks so kind, unique and really good person. I lost my mom 3 years ago, and I missed her a lot. Enjoy your mom ! Hugs, Evelyn

Karen/My Colonial Home said...

Morning Dan, what a wonderful tribute to your mother...it came from the heart and I can feel your love.
I hope we do get a chance to see the wonderful creations and gifts your mother has made over the years...you know, sometimes the things we make for our loved ones are just that...FOR THEM. We would never want to make more and sell them.

You are very lucky to still have your mother. I lost mine when she was just 49 and I was 24...I knew here as mommy but never as MOM...how lucky you are.
Karen

JenR65 said...

What a great tribute to your mom, she is obviously a wonderful lady and made you the great person you are today. It's sure nice to be appreciated, I am sure your mom would love to read this.

Prim Crafts said...

Hi Dan, Thank you for sharing your beautiful mom with us.

Always treasure your mom, the times you have with her and the things she makes for you, as I lost my mom in 2006, she was only 54. She was very talented and made me several items I very much treasure and they help me to remember her everyday.

It would be nice to see some of your mom's talented work.

Grammy Linda / Behind My Red Door said...

Your mom sounds like a wonderful, kind and caring lady, but I am not surprised to be honest. You are a reflection of her in many ways. I think we are both blessed with great moms! Thank you for sharing yours with us and I really look forward to seeing all the treasures she created for you!!

Benita said...

Your mother is a very special woman Dan and she has raised a very special son !!
Love ~ Benita

Linda* ~ TheKeepingroom said...

Hi Dan...
What a wonferful post. I hope your Mom gets to read it.
I think you look like your Mom.
I'm going to bake something yummy and take it my Mom and Dad this afternoon.
I don't take them for granted for a single second!
Blessings,
Linda*

sharong said...

How blessed you are Dan.

Audrey said...

What a wonderful post. I am blessed to be very close with my mom so I really enjoyed it. I am not surprised to hear what a good mother she has been. It shows in her wonderful son.
Looking forward to seeing some of her other great creations!!

blessed country girl said...

There's no one in the world like your Mom, I lost mine in 2003, she's still one of the best friends I ever had. She raised 6 of us kids on her own, clening other people's houses. I still miss her. This is a great tribute to your Mom, just enjoy each other all that you can, the things that she has taught you never leave you. Moms write their legacy in their kid's heart.

Joanne said...

What a wonderful post - Wonderful too that your Mother is who she is to have a son that is inspired to write this post! Thank you for your inspiring posts - a smile after reading your post goes a long way during the day!

Tomatoe Creek Prims said...

You love your mom like I do mine sadly I haven't had her here with me for the past 8 years but I know in heaven she is so very happy:)

I found the CS with your home in it at our little pharmecy downtown...it is just beautiful Dan, I love all the collections and you have them placed just so...everything just sparkles:)

Have a great day,
Rondell

marie said...

Your mother sounds lke a wonderful person ~ what a special post you shared about her.

I've enjoyed my visit to your blog ~ and I can tell you really enjoy writing it. You have a lovely home ~ I I have the Country Sampler issue with your home in. I need to look at it again now tat I know you! have a joy-filled day!!

PS. I LOVE the photo that you've used as your header!

Kim~HomeIsWhereTheHeartIs said...

What a great post in honor of you Mom! I had a wonderful Mom and Gram who greatly influenced me and I love them dearly...

The Farmers Oldest Daughter said...

What a wonderful tribute to your mother. They are such special people in our lives. I still have mine and know that I am fortunate to have her.

I love your home and the article in Country Sampler.

Looking forward to your next post.

A Primitive Place said...

Dan,
It was so touching to read the tribute to your mother,she's very lucky to have a son who loves her so :)Blessings

Rugs and Pugs said...

Dan ~
Thanks for sharing the beautiful tribute to your Mom.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

Shari said...

Dan,

What a wonderful tribute to your mom! I am sure that she is very proud of you and your brothers. I lost my mom five years ago and I miss her more everyday but I know she is looking down on me and smiling.

Shari

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

Dad,

What a very sweet tribute to your mother! She sounds like an excellent mom!

And I'm so sorry to have read about your SIL's mom. I will pray for that family! That's so very sad!

Your blog posts are very uplifting and encouraging! Have a great rest of the week!

Tammy

Susannah said...

What meaningful, wonderful words about your dear mother! I'm sure she is a wonderful person....the apple doesn't fall far from the tree!!! Enjoy as much time with her as you can. I was 37 when my sweet Mom passed away. Oh, what I would give to hug her and hold her.

The Brickhouse said...

Just wondering if your mom would like to adopt me??? She sounds like a perfect mom..how lucky are you!
~~Patti~~

Lynn said...

Dan, what a beautiful tribute to your Mom! Your Mom has been so blessed to have such a wonderful, caring son as you, and You, on the other hand, are so very blessed to have such a wonderful, caring Mom too!

Blessings,
~Lynn

Laura said...

Dan, you are so lucky!
Your mom is a very special person and it seems she could be my "aunt", 'cause the things she taught you are the same that my mother taught to me, to my sister and to my brother.
Thank to these fantastic people we are the person we are now: we do not judge people by how they look or what they have or don't have.
Thank you Dan for this further great Post!!
Laura