Wednesday, February 17, 2010

I Have Confidence in Me

"I have confidence in sunshine
I have confidence in rain
I have confidence that spring will come again
Besides which you see I have confidence in me"


In the movie "The Sound of Music", Maria sang about having confidence in herself, and it worked. She was confident enough to stand up to Captain Von Trapp and to help his children discover their musical abilities. I was thinking, wouldn't it be wonderful if that was all we had to do. Sing a song and we would be confident. The only thing I would be confident about if I sang is that people would run screaming, "Make him stop!"...lol!

Most of us have spent our lives dealing with confidence issues. We tell ourselves, "I am too fat, or I am too skinny. My hair is too straight, or my hair is too curly. I am not smart enough, pretty enough, or graceful enough." I could go on and on, but I think you get the point. We have been conditioned to put ourselves down, sometimes as a defense mechanism, or as a self fulfilling prophecy. Whatever the reason, we wear ourselves down and begin to believe what we tell ourselves. We all have a tendency to believe the "Grass is greener on the other side." If we could be just like so-and-so our lives would be so much better.

God made us exactly how he wanted us to be. Not that we can not improve ourselves, but we are all unique. We are all one of a kind. There is no one else on this Earth who is just like us. When we really think about that, it can be freeing. We are who we are. We all need to embrace our uniqueness and be proud of it. We all have unique talents that no one else possesses. The time has come for all of us to pull ourselves up and say, "I may not be as _____________ as so-and so, but I am good at _____________!"

So what I want you to do is make a list of at least five things that you feel confident about. The list needs to be things that you know you are good at. When you feel down and feel like you can not achieve something, I want you to look at the list and remind yourself that you have many, many talents and you are good at so many different things. Here is my list:

1. I am a caring, compassionate person.
2. I am a good decorator.
3. I am a good teacher.
4. I am a good partner, puppy daddy, son, grandson, brother, uncle, and friend.
5. I am good at seeing other people's point of view and trying to apply it to my life.

Now it is your turn. Never forget that you are unique and you have been placed on this Earth for a reason. You have a purpose and you have the ability to touch so many people's lives with your talents. All you need is confidence!

Thank you for visiting Yesterday Once More. You all inspire me and give me confidence with the wonderful comments that you leave. I hope that after your visit you can feel more confident in yourself, and hold you head up a little higher. I hope all of you have a relaxing evening! Continue to strive to be the best you can be!

Take Care!
~Dan~






23 comments:

Carmen C. said...

THANK YOU! That was just what I needed to read:)

darlarauch said...

I love reading your posts, love them~~ did I say love~ you are so encouraging~! I truly honestly feel I am a better person after visiting your blog! Thank you!!
hugs, Darla

The Brickhouse said...

How did you know that I NEEDED to hear what you wrote? GOD knew what I have been thinking about myself and he used you to tell me that I am unique and I HAVE A PURPOSE! Thank you.
You are a blessing!
~~Patti~~

Benita said...

Another very inspiring post Dan , you are an inspiration to everyone around you and I'm glad that you are confident in your life because you are truly one of a kind : )
LUVS~N~HUGS,
Benita

In His service, Anne said...

Dan,
Your so right!! The Bible says We are fearfully and wonderfully made...HE does not make mistakes!!! Visiting your blog is like a warm blanket and a hot cup of coffee on a FREEZING day (which it is here-lol)!!!

Karen/My Colonial Home said...

Dan I think you have an inner knack for making people FEEL GOOD! NO....I DON'T THINK IT...I KNOW IT!
Your thoughts are deep and profound but like I said yesterday...SO SIMPLE AND PURE.
God blessed all of us when he let you come into our lives.
You are positive and uplifting....AND A GOOD FRIEND.

BIG HUGS, KAREN

thesimpledaze said...

Thank you Dan for another great post.You are blessed with the talent of knowing how to make people feel good about them selves.So that is one of the many reasons I have my first cup of coffee in the morning with you Dan.Thank you for being such a kind and thoughtful person.And please never quit posting so many of us need your uplifting to help brighten our day.Your family, friends and students are so blessed to have a positive person like you in their lives.

PrimWyoGirl said...

I am amazed...I just found and signed on to follow your blog the other day. Your posts are so inspiring and uplifting. I have a son that could truly use some of your advise, as it does myself good as well. I will encourage him to read. We all can use these very positive thoughts and words. Thank you! Congrats on the CS shoot as well! I can't wait for it to arrive!
Jayne

Lynn said...

Dan, this is such an inspiring post! You are one in a million, and I feel so good knowing you, and if only through your blogs! You are truly an inspiration to me and to others who come to read your blog.. You Bless so many others by just being YOU!!

Have a wonderful day Dan!

Blessings,
~Lynn

Grammy Linda / Behind My Red Door said...

I love that song - it's from my all time favorite movie too! Another great post - very thoughtful and inspiring!

Ann said...

Dan, I'm glad that you visited my blog. I've had a good time reading yours! Congratulations on being in CS - what an honor. I too love old mashers - haven't you found how different they are? I'm always amazed I can find one that I don't already have - yeah I can add it to my collection! ~Ann

Primitive Memories said...

Hi Dan-
I just found your blog! Love it! You have great advice. You and your blog are a ray of sunshine on these cold dark winter days!!
Hope you keep on posting!

Grammy Linda / Behind My Red Door said...

I had to come back because my CS Home Tour Edition came today and I glanced at most of it, but had to stop and read your article and look at your pictures! It is just wonderful!! I just love everything about it. A big congratulations and lots of hugs!!

purensimple said...

Wow Dan that was just what I needed to hear today...sometimes I wonder if I am making a difference in my students lives. I am a preschool teacher and at times it can be quite overwhelming and others very rewarding. I need to go and make my list now!!! I am truly greatful to have you in my blog-life!!!
Hugs Theresa

Carrie said...

Oh my goodness, Dan. Once again you have blown me away with one of your inspiring posts!!

Like some of the others, I always seem to leave your blog feeling a little bit more uplifted than I had prior to visiting. And in this case more confident. LOL!! Please keep em' coming!!

BTW, thanks for becoming a follower of mine. I joined yours as well. And where in Southern IL are you?

Hugs!! Carrie♥

Robyn said...

Thank you! ♥

Sharon@crafty*nesty*thrifty said...

Dan I am new to your post , I am so glad I found you in blogland I fight with myself every day about my weight , sometimes I really get down on myself like today but after reading your post I feel better . thank you

Prim Stacy said...

Thank you for such inspiring words! I think everyone could benefit from reading this post. Oh, I just received my CS Home Tour edition....your home is beautiful! I am so glad I found your blog the other day!
~Stacy

Kitty said...

thanks for the inspiring post Dan....sometimes it takes others to make you stop and think...and you have done that for me. I appreicate you!

Kimberly said...

You know, Dan, I wish I could hear you speak in person. You'd be an amazing motivational speaker. I find it hard to voice the good things I see in myself but they're there regardless. Being boastful and being real are two completely different things.
Have a wonderful day! Kimberly

Jenny said...

I really like your writing style.

Laura said...

Great post, Dan, as always!!

It was easy for me to think about 5 things I feel confident about.
Now the next important step will be to write them down!... Damned shyness!! LOL! LOL! LOL!

Laura

janet said...

Very inspiring to read your posts...You truly have inner guidance...What a great soul you are and what profound posts you make...They really hit home...