Thursday, February 18, 2010

A Family is What You Make It

"The great gift of family life it to be intimately acquainted with people you might never even introduce yourself to, had life not done it for you." ~Kendell Hailey~

I received this story in an e-mail today and it really spoke to me, so I thought I would share it with you. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

In a zoo in California, a tiger was pregnant with triplet cubs. This is very rare and due to complications the cubs were born prematurely. After the mother recovered from the delivery her health started to decline. She was perfectly healthy, but she was mourning the lose of her cubs.

The veterinarians at the zoo decided that the tiger may get better if she had some orphan cubs to raise. The sad news was that no orphan cubs were found. The only orphans found were some weanling pigs. The veterinarians "dressed" the piglets in tiger skin and placed them next to the mother tiger. They then stepped back to see what would happen! The results are amazing!

This is when the piglets were first put next to the mother tiger.


It didn't take long for everyone to become more comfortable with each other.

This story got me thinking. The days of the Cleavers are gone. The idea of a family being a mom, dad, and 2.5 children is becoming more and more rare. So many times we strive for our idea of a family. Families come in many shapes and sizes. When we were young, we all had an idea of what our family would look like. How many of us have that family? A family is people who love each other and come together with the same goals and dreams. None of our families are perfect, but we should embrace them and accept each member for their differences. A family is the one place we should always find acceptance. Even if we all look and act differently. If animals can do this, I know we can too.

I also wanted to share with you something that happened at school today. One of my students came in this morning with a cross he had made out of Popsicle sticks in Sunday School. He was very proud of it and wanted to show it to me. As I was looking at it, he said, "I tried to draw a picture of Jesus, but I messed up, so I covered the picture up with glitter." I immediately thought, "That is how life should be." We all make mistakes and mess up, but when we do we should cover it up with "glitter." The "glitter" can be many different things. It can be the love of a spouse, family member, or friend who provides the "glitter". "Glitter" can be accepting our mistakes and trying to correct them in the future. So many times when we make a mistake, we think it is the end of the world. From now on what I want us to do is cover it up with "glitter." Every one's "glitter" is different, but the end result can be the same. I don't know about you, but a door-to-door salesman selling glitter could clean up in this house...lol!


Thank you for visiting Yesterday Once More. I appreciate all of you wonderful comments and e-mails. They mean so much to me and brighten my day more than I can ever express to you. Always remember that your family may not look like your neighbor's family, but you are blessed to have them. You were placed together not by accident, but for a greater purpose. Embrace your family's uniqueness and never doubt its value and importance. I also want you to remember that if you make a mistake, do not dwell on it. Cover it up with "glitter" and move on! I hope all of you have a wonderful evening. Thank you again for your visit!

Take Care!
~Dan~

21 comments:

Willow said...

Dan,
I just loveeee visiting your blog. It's soooo full of positivity and brightens my day. I will be sure to add a little "glitter" to my world and I hope others do to....
Have a fantastic Friday
Prim Huggs n Blessins
TJ

Lori said...

Oh Dan, came across you on my daughters blog, Noelle. I am so moved by the pictures and sentiment! I'm just speechless! I always have to remind my grown kids that regardless of what each other may do, their still one family. It took me a VERY long time to get over alot and move on. Since I have I'm more energized, focus and open to new and exciting possibilities. Sure once in awhile I'm drained but move on up to the better level with a clear view! I want to hang onto your idea, "cover it with glitter!" bravo, for making my day sparkle too! Lori

Wanda/Ridge Farm Nesting Place said...

Thanks for sprinkeling some "glitter" on my evening! Good food for thought!
Have a wonderful weekend!
Prim Blessings
Wanda

LeeHillPrimitives said...

LOve, love your blog!I enjoy so much reading it before sleeping, I go to my bed with a good thought. Your posts are really amazing,love your writing skills and your "glitter" on them. Thanks for share posts like this.

thesimpledaze said...

I just could not wait until morning with my coffee in hand I had to read your post now and as always I loved every word.Isn't wonderful how children can sometimes help us, adults,look at lifes difficulties with some sparkle just a little glitter changes everything.I love it.

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

Dan you are way beyond your years!!! I do love reading your entrys and you so put things in perspective and basically don't sweat the petty stuff..or is it don't pet the sweaty stuff..lol..you know what I mean..have a great friday.>)

Pam said...

What a sweet story=) Thanks for sharing...I really did need this today! Hope you have a great Friday!

purensimple said...

Another great post Dan!!! You always seem to know just what I need and when to deliver it! What a wonderful idea to put alittle "glitter" into our own lives....it is amazing how a child can just give us a lightbulb moment without even trying! Love your story too! Have a wonderful weekend!!!
Hugs Theresa

JenR65 said...

Thanks Dan, you really have a way with words. I think you help all of your followers, each in different ways-to be better people and achieve happiness. I showed my family your home in CS last night, they all loved reading your article and said what a nice guy you must be. Have a great weekend!

Colleen/And Baby Makes Five said...

So true! So true! Family is such a blessing.

We've always counted our closest friends as part of that family fold too. After all friends are the family we choose for ourselves, aren't they? It's always such a gift to add to that familial support system.

And a little glitter certainly does work wonders...

Thanks for the kind compliments about our bathroom reno. I hope you enjoy your visits as much as I do mine. Happy Weekending!

Wolfie said...

Ahhhhh Dan. Another wonderful post. You are such a good and positive person.

I strive to be more like you everyday.

I hope that you have a wonderful weekend. Full of joy.

WOLFIE

Prim Crafts said...

Hey there Dan, I just love reading your posts....I have a framed saying hanging on my wall that I want to share with you. It's titled "Some People" - Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some people move our souls to dance. They awaken us to new understanding with the passing whisper of their wisdom. Some people make the sky more beautiful to gaze upon. They stay in our lives for awhile, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same.

Dan you are one of those people.

Thank you for sharing.

Prim Blessing to you and your family.
Jean

Benita said...

Hi Dan ~ I love your post again as usual!! We can learn alot from kids, but I think your family is just precious and I don't think you need to cover it up with any glitter at all !!
LUVS~N~HUGS
Benita

Katherine said...

You have a gift for seeing the message in the moments that happen every day, the simple things that slide right by most of us. Thanks for sharing these with us. I rarely leave your blog without warm fuzzies.
~Katherine

darlarauch said...

Everyone that knows me knows how much I despise glitter~ I dont like it at all, but~~ Im starting to reconsider it now~ LOL

have a great day and thanks for the wonderful posts~
hugs, Darla

Debra said...

What a touching post today! Thanks!

simple~needs said...

wow, this post speaks so much to me. i have felt like things are spiraling out of cntrol the past few days and i cant get things back as they used to me.
i read the post, took a good long cry and came back to comment.
thank you so much. i feel some heaviness lifted from my heart.
kim

Lori said...

Hi Dan
I went out looking for the magazine today and didn't see it, what month does it say it is? Lori

Jenny said...

Hi Dan. I'm visiting you back and you have a great decorating style. I keep my house really simple and I love vintage. The last home I owned in Ohio before I moved to Arizona was an 1813 Federal and it was amazing. Your house makes me nostaglic for it.

I'm going to send this link to a few friends of mine who I think would enjoy your blog greatly.

And please come play on Alphabe-Thursday if you have time.

It's really a fun MEME. You can go back a few days and look at the links. Pretty diverse posts.

Jenny said...

OK, I see. Obviously your home is amazing since it's going to be in a magazine feature. That is neat. What State are you in? Did you build and design this house yourself?

cjjb said...

Dan,
The glitter story - spoken like a true special ed teacher! :)
Carrie (CJJB)