Wednesday, February 24, 2010

But She's in Heaven

This is going to be a shorter post today. We are still trying to get ready to travel to my sister-in-law's mother's funeral. It is only about two and a half hours away, but because of the time of the visitation and of the funeral we are going to have to spend the night. We are leaving right after school tomorrow, and will be back sometime on Friday. We have to be back by 4:00. The local paper is coming to interview me about being in Country Sampler Magazine. The trials and tribulations of being a celebrity...lol! The P's are staying home, and Jeff's mom and dad are coming to stay with them. They will be even more spoiled when we get back than they are now. Their Nana and Paw Paw spoil them rotten. Jeff's mom has a way of getting them all cranked up. That's okay, at least we know they will be well taken care of and loved while we are gone. We hate leaving them. We miss them so much. Probably way more than they miss us.

I did want to share a story with you about my niece, Katie. She is going to be 4 on March 10th. Her mom and dad explained to her that her Monga, her word for grandma, had died. When they were going back home, Katie said, "So, Monga is in heaven." My sister-in-law said, "Yes." Then Katie said, "So why are you sad?" My sister-in-law said, "Well, because she was my mommy and I can't be with her anymore, and I will miss her." To which Katie responded, "But she's in heaven!" Then she said, "Look mommy, there is Monga in the clouds going to heaven, and Monga Lou is with her. Monga Lou is my dad's mom who passed away in 1994, but Katie talks about her a lot. She always says, "Monga Lou watches me while I am asleep." It makes me wonder if she sees something we don't. When my mom told me what Katie had said, I thought, "Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could all have that attitude when someone we love dies?" It is the truth, her Monga is in a better place, and she is happy. It would be nice to think so simplistically. Sometimes I think we do not give kids enough credit. We think they do not understand the complexities of live. Maybe we have it wrong. Maybe we don't understand the simplicity of life. This proves to me that we can all learn from each other, no matter how young or old the other person is.

Thank you all for visiting Yesterday Once More. I really appreciate it. You all make me feel so good about myself with your kind comments. I will have to take a couple of days off from blogging to attend the funeral, but I will be back. I hope all of you have a wonderful evening and a fantastic Thursday. I hope you are inspired to look at life in a more simple way, and appreciate the little things more.

Take Care!
~Dan~

21 comments:

Audrey said...

Bless that child, what a wonderful outlook. I pray she keeps it as she grows.

basketsnprims said...

Only through the eyes of a child!
Hugs,
Pam

JenR65 said...

I'll be thinking of you and your family Dan!!

Colleen/And Baby Makes Five said...

Children are so wise ... and observant.

My brother recently eloped, bagging his plans for a very small family wedding in May. It's his second marriage (and his wife's as well) and they just wanted to be married. So on a Thursday night in NC, they eloped.

I was feeling a little down about missing it and missing them. Until Michaela, my five year old, put everything into perspective. I told the kids that Uncle Tim and Aunt Vicki got married. And Miss Michaela looked up at me and said: "Don't be sad, Mumma. Any day is a good day for a wedding." She's totally right. Of course.

Safe travels to you both, Dan.

darlarauch said...

Out of the mouths of babes, your right~ we can learn from them! I will be keeping you and your family in my prayers~ be safe and cant wait for you to get back,

give Katie a hug for me~

warm hugs, Darla

Benita said...

Such a sad time losing a loved one, but then such an exciting time for your newspaper interview !! I'll be thinking of you Dan : )
Hugs ~
Benita

carolyn@primitive~devotion said...

Dan, what a sweet post. Kids definately understand more than most grown-ups give them credit for.
Enjoy the rest of your week!

thesimpledaze said...

God bless all of you.We should always try to listen to the little ones they are smarter than we realize.I hope your family finds the strength they need to get thru this very sad time.You all are in my thoughts and prayers.Also good luck with your interview.

priminitupjen said...

What a nice post, Dan. Your niece is a very wise child. Will be thinking of you and your family today. Good luck with your newspaper interview also. Jen

Kimberly said...

Thinking of you and your family, Dan! Give Katie a hug and remind her what a special girl she is!

Joanne said...

Safe travels. Thanks to Katie for reminding us of the good in the "simplicity" of life.

Pam said...

That is a very sweet post! Thinking of you & your family during this hard time. Good luck on your interview!

Susannah said...

Your little niece has it all straight ...much better that some of us adults. There is a better world for us someday. I love your post, Dan. Honestly, you make me "think" and you make me feel better. Thank you.
Susannah

Wolfie said...

(((HUGS))) Dan. Will be thinking of all of you.

WOLFIE

Lori said...

You have a beautiful home. Thanks for stopping by. -Lori @here's a hand

Tracey said...

What a precious little niece, and so wise! Have a safe trip, Dan, and I'm sure the P's will be livin it up!
Tracey

sharong said...

Take care Dan be safe

Donna~One Simple Country Girl said...

Dan,
I wish you and Jeff safe travels and please know that my thoughts and prayers will be with your family during this tough time. Katie has hit the nail on the head, I believe! This post really speaks to me given what I have gone thru this week. Thank you for sharing this with us and thank you so much for the kind and caring words you leave on my blog.
Hugs,
Donna

Laura said...

Dan, take care!
I pray for you and your family; my thoughts are with you in this hard time.
Laura

Karen/My Colonial Home said...

Beautifully put today Dan.
I'm sorry about your sister in-laws Mother.
Your Niece is very perceptive...and so sweet.

Karen

Robyn said...

I am so sorry for your loss. My 3 year old is always talking about my FIL who died almost 2 years ago. Out of the blue he will "talk" to Grandpa like he is in the room with us. So innocent!