Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Story of Our Home

"Where is home? Home is where the heart can laugh without shyness. Home is where the heart's tears can dry at their own pace."

As I am sure you can all tell, my home is very important to me. It always has been, and I suspect it always will be. I have lived in several different places since I moved out of my parents house in 1995. They have all had one thing in common. It is a placed filled with the things I love, and it reflects who I was, who I am, and who I hope to be. Your home should be a place that not only shelters you from the storms that nature can produce, but should also shelter you from the storms that life can produce. My hope is that you have found that in your own home.

I wanted to share with you how we came to live in our current house. We had lived in a home for three years that was very nice. We bought it before it was finished and for the next two years we worked on it. When we finished it was nice, but it just didn't seem like home. We started looking for a new house. We found several houses that we liked, but none of them felt right. In the meantime, things in the other house seemed to start to fall apart, requiring more work than we were willing to invest. I started praying that we could find the right house. We poured over every realty magazine, newspaper, and Internet site known to man. We just couldn't find the house that was the perfect fit.

One day, we went shopping at a Hallmark in the town that we really wanted to live. When we were finished shopping, I told Jeff that I was not ready to go home. I was felling a little down and wanted to drive around. I thought maybe there was a house we had not seen before. I was doubtful, but something kept saying
, "Drive around". Jeff said "I don't know where to go." I told him to just drive. He turned down a street and we came to a stop sign. When we got to the stop sign, I told him to turn right. Four houses later we were driving by our house. It was for sale buy owner. We would have never found it on the Internet, magazine, or reality magazine. The owners had just put the sign in the yard the previous Friday. This was Monday! We made an appointment to see it. The second I walked in, I loved it. My very first thought was, "This house could be in Country Sampler Magazine." Isn't that funny? To make a very long story short, we bought the house and have never regretted it for a moment.

I am so thankful everyday that God led us to this house. No one will ever be able to convince me that He didn't. It is the house of my dreams, and I am so grateful for it. I hope all of you have a wonderful evening, and that you can find shelter in your home from the storms of life. Take care!

~Dan~

9 comments:

Folk Art From The Harbor said...

What a sweet story! It reminds me of when I was a single parent looking for a new place for me and my boys...I prayed and prayed and I spoke to someone at church and they told me to go to the neighborhood I wanted to live in and walk around (not drive) until I found the place I wanted and much like yours it was not in the paper or on the internet. I loved living at the foot of Lake Bottom Park in Columbus Ga. It was so nice. Then of course I later got married and had another baby and had to move to a bigger house and then that giant leap across the country to the Pacific Northwest which I now call Home Sweet Home! Hugs BeCca

Janene said...

That is such a great story. I can relate to how you feel about your home. I grew up in the home that I live in...I have been here a total of 40 years (only being out one year!). It holds many memories that I can share with my children, and many more are being made that I can share with my (someday) grandchildren.
It is a place that I want to make comfortable for my family and welcoming to my friends.
I am so glad that I found your blog because it is such a joy to read.
Have a wonderful Wednesday!

Lynn said...

Dan, what a wonderful post! You know, I really do believe that God always directs us in the direction of our heart's desires.. Isn't it totally awesome how God knows everything there is to know about us, and especially when it comes to our likes and dislikes, right down to our deepest heart's desires.. I do believe in.. ask and it shall be given unto you and seek and ye shall find..
Your home is absolutely beautiful...and it sure did make it in the Country Sampler magazine!!

Thank you for having confidence in me Dan when it comes to me and my weight issues! You are great! Thank you for stopping by and visiting me on my blog too! You are doing fantastic on your blog Dan! I'm loving stopping by yours every day!!
Have a wonderful Wednesday!

~Lynn

Carmen C. said...

It seems you were Meant to find that house through a higher power! I love mine too, my home is my security from the sometimes ugly world:)

In His service, Anne said...

Great Post today!! Don't you just love walking through the door and know your home? I love my old house, even though its a tight fit with 6 people in it right now, I wouldn't trade it for a big new house ever! :)
Anne

JenR65 said...

Thanks for sharing the story of how you found your home, its very inspirational. So glad you found the right home and its so funny that the first thing you thought of was CS magazine. Enjoy your day!

Laura said...

Great post Dan!
Within the end of this year we will move to the new house and I really hope to be so lucky as you are!
Laura

Never So Simple said...

I loved this post. You have gien me hope that my next home is just around the corner and God will lead me to it when he is ready. We had to give up our rental home last year. After losing my job the income was just not there anymore. It was home to us for 7 years. I miss my stuff and my own space. Thanks for giving me some hope. :)

Donna

Wolfie said...

I really enjoyed this post about how you came upon "your dream home".

Very inspiring ... and so typical of you. Your outlook and attitude make me strive to be a better person.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

WOLFIE