Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Joys of Puppy Parenthood

"We give them the love we can spare, the time we can spare. In return dogs have given us their absolute all. It is without a doubt the best deal man has ever made."

For those of you who follow Behind My Red Door, you know that Linda and her family have suffered a great loss. Their precious Brady has gone on to a better place where he will not suffer anymore. As you know, God has blessed us with two of the most precious angels to ever walk this Earth in fur. This post will be about how we found our babies, and is dedicated in memory of Linda's Grandpuppy, Brady.

Jeff had been begging me for a dog for years. He always said how great it would be to have one around. I was totally against it! I didn't want any part of a dog in my house. I thought it would ruin everything I had. I thought our house would smell like dog and never be the same. I stood by this decision for several years. Every once in a while, Jeff would bring the subject up and I would shoot it down. Then one day, I was driving to school thinking about our life. We had a wonderful life, but sometimes it felt a little lonely. We have faced many oppositions in our life together, and sometimes it felt like it was just us. I stopped at a stoplight and these words came into my head, "You can have your own baby". I knew instantly what that meant. It was time for us to adopt a dog.

That evening, when I got home, I told Jeff. As you can imagine, he jumped on it. He had always wanted a Miniature Schnauzer. Several member of his family had had them he he thought they were wonderful dogs. It didn't take long for him to find one for us to adopt. He called the lady and she said she had two left and they were both girls. The next day we went to see them. I still was not convinced. Jeff kept saying you can back out anytime you want. When we walked into the lady's house it smelled of dog. I thought, "Is this my future?" She went to get the puppies. When she opened the door these two precious little girls tore through the door. They were all over the place. I have to admit I was ready to run out, but I could see the joy on Jeff's face, so I didn't. They jumped and barked and got into the trashcan, and pulled all the garbage out. Again, I thought, "What am I doing here?". Jeff asked me which one I wanted and I said, "The skinny one". That is the one we chose. We named her Parker McKenzie. "Parker" is after Sarah Jessica Parker and "McKenzie" is the last name of the main family in the book and movie Peyton Place. Parker quickly became the joy of our lives. She was easy to train, loving, obedient, and was always happy to see us. I never regretted for a minute that she was in our lives.

THEN THEIR WERE TWO!

About six months after we got Parker, Jeff started in again. "Don't you think Parker needs a sibling?", he would say. I would tell him he was crazy, but he kept at it. My defenses were down because of my love for Parker. So I told him the new dog had to be a boy, he had to be a Miniature Schnauzer, and his first name had to be Peyton. I told him that I had a middle name picked out, and if he could tell me the name I had picked out, we could get another dog. He went out and mowed the grass. He came in the house a few hours later and said, "McEntire". I thought I would pass out right there. That was the name that I had picked out. Trust me, I had not said a word to him about it. So, he got a paper, looked for Miniature Schnauzers, and the next day we were on our way to look at one. The people only had one boy, and he was all white. When we walked in the house, there was this little white boy all by himself in a kiddie pool with chicken wire around it. He was the littlest guy I had seen and so cute. I fell in love again. This one was named Peyton McEntire. "Peyton" after the book and movie Peyton Place, "McEntire" after Reba McEntire. I really thought Peyton would be just like Parker. I was dead wrong. He hated us. Didn't want to have anything to do with us. He loved Parker and wanted to be with her all the time, but could have cared less if he ever saw us again. When we would touch him, he would growl. When we picked him up, he would growl. When we came home from school, he wasn't happy to see us. He would just lie there and look at us. I was devastated. He was suppose to love us. I told Jeff is he didn't improve, we would have to take him back. So we started telling him, "In this house we love each other". After a few months he turned around. Boy, did he turn around! He is more loving than Parker. He wants to be with us all the time. When we come home he is so excited to see us. He is literally beside himself. I never thought he would be this way. He is so precious. We always say, "There is something special about Peyton".

Getting these two babies was the best thing we ever did. I can not imagine life without them. I am so thankful everyday that they are with us. Parker was three on September 16th and Peyton will be three on May 14th. Guess what??? Someone is trying to talk me into getting a third one. Can you believe it??? I don't know if he will get the job done this time. What do you think???

Thank you so much for visiting me at Yesterday Once More. I appreciate it very much. I hope that you continue to come back.

Take Care!
~Dan~ (Parker and Peyton's proud daddy)


13 comments:

Donna~One Simple Country Girl said...

Dan,
What a sweet story about your babies!! Having just gotten Sophie, I know exactly what you mean about the unconditional love you have for them and they for you. It truly is incredible! Thank you so much for sharing your story. My heart and prayers are with Linda and her family during this terrible time in their lives. I hope God will heal their hearts quickly. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday with your beautiful family!
Hugs,
Donna

Wolfie said...

Ahhhh ... your story is a great one.

WOLFIE

The Farmers Oldest Daughter said...

Great stor!! You will never regret having them.

We have a Miniature Schnauzer named Max and he is the light of our lives. He is going to be 14 the end of February and is a diabetic and blind but he is stil our baby. We got him from the pound when he was 3 and I truly feel that he knows he was rescued. Before him, we had a Schoodle, half Schnauzer and half Poodle. Great Dog. Can't you tell, I LOVE dogs.

Have a great week!
Maxine

jerrywigginton48 said...

Dan that was a sweet story. They just become
a member of the family. I bet Jeff wins out
about the third one. Will be watching to see
you number 3. Kay

Carmen C. said...

What a wonderful and heartwarming story. We have a german shepherd who is as I call her an angel in a fur coat, she loves us so but when we got her as a puppy she was so fearful of all people we wondered if she'd ever turn around. With alot of love and patience she did and then some! Animals have so much unconditional love to share with us humans:)

Tomatoe Creek Prims said...

Such a sweet story Dan, we have Buster a yellow lab who is my baby. We got him at 4 months at a farm and to this day he only goes to the bathroom in high grass...thanks goodness we live in a wooded area:)

Rondell

priminitupjen said...

Well, Dan, we started out with getting just one puppy to keep me company while my 3 little girls are in school. We ended up finding Zoey, the sweetest dog ever! Since she was so sweet we decided to get her a "buddy". Well, we ended up with 2 buddies (We only went to pick out one, honestly) for her. So now each of my daughters' have their own dog. They bring us so much joy every day. I have a feeling you will be getting a third dog really soon!
Jen

Lynn said...

This was such a wonderful post Dan! Dogs have so much love to give and share with us.. I can't imagine not having ours. As you know, our minature schnauzer, Fritzi passed the 21st of Dec. and was 13 years old. I sure do miss him alot... He was such a loving puppy dog.. A real mama's puppy!
My heart goes out to Linda and her family for the loss of Brady.. It is so terribly hard on everyone, that's for sure!
We have a chocolate lab named Shelba and a german shepherd named Zoe.. They both give my hubby and me lots of company, and they too, have so much love to share..

I'm another one who thinks that there just might be a 3rd puppy dog coming to your home one of these days.. :)

Blessings,
~Lynn

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

Hey Dan, your babies are just precious!!!! I love their little outfits too..I love your home and the barn etc..very beautiful..we have 7 cats and a mini aussie..we love them all..Take care and thanks for sharing your story..:)

Grammy Linda / Behind My Red Door said...

Oh Dan - how sweet!! You initially had the same feelings about a dog that I did and now you too have had your heart filled with the love only they can give!! I am so happy you are blessed with so much joy from your two furry friends. As hard it is right now, I know I am better for having loved Brady while God lent him to us. Thanks for dedicating this to our sweet boy! warm hugs, Linda

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

What a sweet story, Dan! I remember reading on the CS forum where you got the names, but how you got them...that's a sweet story! I can tell how much they are both loved! They sure are both cuties!

Have a great day!
Tammy

quilting1954 said...

Dan I loved your post on your dogs, we have 2 shitzues with totaly opposite personalities, I believe all dogs are Gods angels put here on earth to help us find peace when our lives are in turmoil. Words can never explain how much I LOVE all dogs. Sue

Dana~HomespunTreasures said...

Hi Dan, I just found you blog today and I'm so glad I did!!!! I've really enjoyed catching up on all of your post and I look forward to reading it daily!!! It was such a sweet and thoughtful thing for you to dedicate this post to Linda!! I'm a fellow staff member with her over at APP and I know she has really taken Brady's death very hard which is understanable. So I know this will mean a lot to her. I'm really looking forward to getting to know you and Jeff better!!! Have a GREAT week!!!!

Blessings.
Dana