Thursday, January 21, 2010

How Do You Wash a Dirty Jelly Bean???

Instead of starting today with a quote I thought I would tell you a little story about one of my kids at school. I always give my kids a few jelly beans when they leave. I give them jelly beans if they have made good choices and tried their best. I gave one kid some jelly beans and as I did, one of them fell on the floor. He picked it up and said, "don't worry about it, I will wash it off". I was busy with another student, and when I looked up he was standing at the hand sanitizer. He had squirted it on his jelly bean and was rubbing it in. I tell my kids all the time to use hand sanitizer to wash their hands. I very calmly said, "You can't eat that throw it away". Inside I was thinking, "Oh my gosh! How would I have explained that to his parents". I guess he thought if the hand sanitizer was good enough for his hands, it would work on his jelly bean. Maybe I need to be more specific from now on...lol!

I also wanted to take the time to thank all of you for the wonderful comments you have left and for following my blog. When I started this I didn't know if anyone would read my entries are not. You have welcomed me with opened arms and made me feel so good.

Today's challenge is to make a list of five things that you are thankful for. That is the easy part. Here is the challenge. When you are frustrated or upset about something that happens during your day, recite the list to yourself. It will make you feel better and help you deal with the frustrating situation.

Here is my list:
1. I am thankful for my family.
2. I am thankful for my job.
3. I am thankful for my health.
4. I am thankful for my warm home.
5. I am thankful for having another day to spend with all the people I love.

Now it is your turn! I hope you all have a wonderful day, and you remember to be thankful for all the blessings you have been given. Even when you get upset and want to give up. Take care and be careful today!

~Dan~

18 comments:

In His service, Anne said...

Dan,
Too funny about jelly bean! I will try your challenge today (especially with home schooling-lol)! Glad you are among us in "blogland".
Anne

Lynn said...

Dan, I could just picture that little boy washing his dropped jelly bean with some hand sanitizer.. Great that you noticed him doing that before he popped it into his mouth!

I will try your challenge today.. I know I have many things to be very Thankful for..

You have a wonderful day Dan!

~Lynn

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

What a cute story, Dan. He definitely was trying to make another good choice by cleaning it! You sound like a wonderful teacher!

Those are wonderful things to be thankful for. I'm taking your challenge. Thanks for the post!

Have a great day!
Tammy

thesimpledaze said...

Dan so glad I found your blog and today I am trying your challenge I have so many things to be thankful for and thanks for making me think about them.You sound like a wonderful person and a great teacher your students are so lucky.Can't wait to see your home in CS home tour edition.

Kim~HomeIsWhereTheHeartIs said...

Hi Dan,
Cute story!

What a great challenge...as I have said before, there's always something to be thankful for!

Karen/My Colonial Home said...

Morning Dan....I love that you made me giggle this morning! You do that alot and I thank you.
I've not seen a more upbeat personality as you in ages and it is refreshing. You are so positive.

Thanks for blogging friend!

Karen

Lisa B. said...

Oh, I so love the story of cleaning the jelly bean. You made my day. And I love love love the five things to be grateful for. I know one of the things on my life will be "I am thankful for the people on the Country Sampler forum." Love you, Dan. And I love your blog - it's the first one I am following as I finally created a Google account. Such fun.

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

welcome to blog land...oh boy are you going to have fun...you think collecting fiestaware is addicting..:) love your blog and you have 2 cute puppys...we have a mini australian shepherd named Tucker and 7 kittys...I look forward to following your blog and learning more about you.:)

Sharon said...

I was glad to come upon your blog.
I visit Country Girl at home daily. She is so sweet. I think your story of the jelly bean was so funny.
I can't wait to see your home in CS.
Thanks for sharing your challenge.

Folk Art From The Harbor said...

I LOVED that Jelly Bean story! And what a great idea about thinking about what we are thankful for if we get frustrated during the day. Positive thoughts is always key.

You have an awesome blog too! I really like the big stars you replaced above the mantel and I have decided to purchase the CS Home Edition because your home will be featured in it.

Yalls babies are ADORABLE! I dont have any but if I did I already have their names picked out for 2 boys and 1 girl Frisky Buttermilk and Mr Buffy!!!

Hugs BeCca

Janene said...

So glad that I came across your blog. And I am so glad that I am a subscriber to CS...because if not, then I would miss seeing the rest of your home!
As I am reading through past posts, I am taken in with your humor...such a great thing to have these days!
You have hooked me and now I am a follower. Looking forward to reading more!

Tomatoe Creek Prims said...

Hi Dan,
I forgot to comment yesterday about the new stars you found for your mantel, I love them and they do look better than the smaller ones, fills the area up more I think:)

Your puppies are sweet, I'm a dog lover too, if you scroll down on my blog you will see my yellow lab Buster.

Two of my boys are teachers math and history, love the story of the jelly bean:)

Have a wonderful rest of the day and I'll take your challenge on too, I have so much to be thankful for:)

Rondell

jerrywigginton48 said...

Dan that was a cute story. You never know what
kids are going to do. Just wanted you to know
I really enjoy reading your blog. Maybe I will
get up the nerve to try one. Kay

Kitty said...

Dan that story is classic! TFS!

♥ Noelle ♥ said...

cute story!! haha!!

Laura said...

LOL!! LOL! LOL!! When I was a child I did the same with a piece of chocolate !!! ...and I still remember my mother's squeal !! LOL! LOL!
Today I try your challenge (there are so many things to be thankful for!!)

Blessings,
Laura

Wolfie said...

Hey Dan.... love your blog.

I enjoyed the "jelly bean" post so much that I commented about it on my blog. Gave the link too ... I hope you don't mind.

I think your blog is great!!!

WOLFIE

marie said...

I love your jelly bean story....
and I really appreciate your challenge to remember our blessings ~ especially on the days that are a little more challenging than others!