Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Burnt Biscuits

"There is no such thing as a non-working mom"

I received this via e-mail and felt like I needed to share it with all of you. This reminded me of my mom and how hard she worked when I was a kid. I know many of you are mothers, grandmothers, and even great-grandmothers. I thought you would enjoy this. I have noticed over the past years the job of a mother not being held in as high esteem as it once was or should be. My mom was and is a wonderful mother who provided love,
stability, and guidance to me as a child and as an adult. Always remember you are important, worthy, talented, and loved.

On an evening long ago, my mom placed a plate of eggs, sausage and extremely burned biscuits in front of my dad. I remember waiting to see if anyone noticed! Yet all my dad did was reach for his biscuit, smile at my mom and ask me how my day was at school. I don't remember what I told him that night, but I do remember watching him smear butter and jelly on that biscuit and eat every bite!

When I got up from the table that evening, I remember hearing my mom apologize to my dad for burning the biscuits. And I'll never forget what he said: "Honey, I love burned biscuits."

Later that night, I went to kiss Daddy good night and I asked him if he really liked his biscuits burned. He wrapped me in his arms and said, "Your Momma put in a hard day at work today and she's real tired. And besides - a little burnt biscuit never hurt anyone!"

Life is full of imperfect things.....and imperfect people. I'm not the best at hardly anything, and I forget birthdays and anniversaries just like everyone else. But what I've learned over the years is that learning to accept each others faults - and choosing to celebrate each others differences - is one of the most important keys to creating a healthy, growing, and lasting relationship.

And that's my prayer for you today. That you will learn to take the good, the bad, and the ugly parts of your life and lay them at the feet of God. Because in the end, He's the only One who will be able to give you a relationship where a burnt biscuit isn't a deal-breaker!

I hope all of you enjoyed reading this as much as I did. I hope that if you do not have a relationship where burnt biscuits are acceptable you will soon. Thank you all for visiting my blog and making it part of your day. I really appreciate it! Take care!

~Dan~





10 comments:

Susannah said...

Hi Dan, I enjoyed reading your blog so much. Your words about the burnt toast are so fitting in this day and age. Thank you for writing it and thank you for letting us read it. It has made my day!

Friends,
Susannah

Tammy ~ A Primitive Place said...

What a sweet post!
I think I may be a bit over emotional right now because reading it actually choked me up a bit.
All I can say is atleast that Mom found time to make the biscuts, which is more than I can most of the time!! Hehee!

Have a great evening,
Tam

Tomatoe Creek Prims said...

Hi Dan,
I just love your posts:)

Rondell

Grammy Linda / Behind My Red Door said...

What a wonderful story! I needed that tonight. I love your positive attitude Dan!

JenR65 said...

Thanks for the post Dan, I think we all need to be reminded to not sweat the small stuff and to let things go. Have a fantastic day!

carolyn@primitive~devotion said...

Oh, what a neat story! Thanks for sharing it.
And I want to congratulate you on being chosen to be in CS magazine! How exciting for you!
I just love your dogs too. Schnauzers are one of my favorite breeds.
Have a great weekend!

Lynn said...

Such a great post Dan!! Thanks so much for sharing!
Have a wonderful day! Love the pictures of Parker and Peyton! Sooo darling!

Blessings,
~Lynn

ddogood said...

Dan, what a heartwarming story that was. It really makes you think. Thanks for all your positive words. I love your blog!

Donna

darlarauch said...

Dan, thank you for that, I loved reading that and even got teary eyed. It was a wonderful story and yes, you do have a great attitude.
thanks, hugs, Darla

Laura said...

T-H-A-N-K Y-O-U !!!!

May you have a wonderful Sunday!

Laura