Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Art of Forgiveness

"When a deep injury is done us we never recover until we forgive" -Alan Paton

Well, it is finally Friday!!! This week has just flown by, and I continue to be overwhelmed by all the positive comments you all are leaving for me. It makes me feel very special. Tonight we are going out to eat with some friends of ours to celebrate Jeff's birthday. His birthday was on December 28th, and we are just getting around to meeting up with our friends. It is like I tell Jeff, "It is hard being a celebrity"...lol!

I have made a decision about the give away and I hope you all agree. Don't worry the give away is still on! I would like to give Tammy the letters spelling out her new son's name. She is such a sweet person and she and her husband have been hoping to adopt and their dream has come true. So as a gift to her, I would like to make her new son's name for her. The rest of you are still entered in the drawing and I will be drawing a winner on Friday, January 29. Tammy I need you to e-mail me with your address and specific colors that you would like the letters to be. My e-mail address is dc11272@hotmail.com.

Here is today's challenge. I have to say it is a hard one. At least it is for me. As we get older we should improve so I am trying to do this and it has made a difference in my life. I want you to forgive someone who has wronged you in someway. You do not have to talk to the person or contact them in any way. All you need to say is, "Such-and-such, I forgive you for all that you have done to me". It is that easy, but you have to mean it and truly let it go.

A few months ago I had to do this. Someone had really hurt me, and I refused to forgive them. I even told Jeff that I refused to pray and ask God to help me forgive them. I knew if I did, He would and I wasn't ready for that. I kept it inside, and I found myself becoming more and more bitter. Finally, I decided it had gone on long enough. I asked for help in forgiving this person, and verbally said to myself, "I forgive you, for what you have done". Immediately, I felt this weight lift off of me and I felt so much better. It was finally time to let it go.

Hopefully, with this challenge you will be able to do the same. I know you can do it.
Life is too short and precious for us to hold on to the negative. This is the time to embrace the positive! I hope all of you have a wonderful Friday, and that you continue to come back as often as you can. Take care!

~Dan~

7 comments:

Debbie said...

I just wanted to say that I do relate with how you were feeling and I too have learned to just forgive. I spent too much time in the past holding grudges against those who hurt me. Now I just pray. :)

Tammy is so sweet. She is how I located your blog. I was so happy for her and her family when they got the news about Luke. He is definitely a lucky little boy.

I also wanted to say your home is beautiful!

Take care,
Debbie

Maureen said...

Oh Dan! I smiled when I read you didn't want to ask God to help you forgive because you knew He would. That sounds like me! It's just easier to hang on to some of this baggage isn't it? I accept your challenge and thank you for writing about it. I "met" you through the Country Sampler forum but due to a glitch there it won't let me post anymore. I'm enjoying your blog very much.

Kath ~★The Olde Weeping Cedar ★~ said...

What a wonderful thing to do...I know Tammy will be so tickled!!
...another heartfelt post...just wonderful!

Have a happy day and a beautiful weekend :)

Lynn said...

Dan... What a wonderful and sweet thing to do !! I know that Tammy will be sooo happy too! You are so kind and so very thoughtful!!

As for your challenge for today, I've found out over the years that it's better to say "I'm sorry" than to carry a grudge.. as it just eats away at you..causing you more hurt, pain and stress, and not at all bothering the person who has done you wrong.. Just by saying "I'm sorry" definately can lift that heavy weight off one's shoulder's that's for sure!

I am mostly a positive person most of the time..as I've found out that negativity only begets more negativity, and that's not good for anyone at all.. There are times though, when I do have negative thoughts about something, but then I try to decipher all the positive out of the negative thoughts that I can.. and usually that will put me back on the being positive track again.. It's really amazing how bumpy that track ride can be for me sometimes!!

Your puppy dog's are sooo precious! Peyton,(your darker haired schnauzer) reminds me of our Fritzi who left us to go to doggie heaven last month.. The expression Peyton has is sooo much like Fritzi's! Fritzi's ears were shaped like Parker's though.. They definately talk to us with their almond shaped puppy dog eyes don't they?.. Maybe someday we'll have another minature schnauzer, but we'll just have to wait and see.. Shelba and Zoe keep me plenty busy and so does our tabby cat..

Have a great weekend Dan and have fun with your friends celebrating Jeff's birthday! Please tell Jeff I said "Happy Belated Birthday"!

Blessings,
~Lynn

Robyn said...

I found your blog through another blog and the title of this post drew me in! It was just what I needed to read today (well, really the last few days if you ask my husband)I have been in a negative funk lately and I know it has a lot to do with my anger toward someone. I am really trying to let it go because I know it only hurts me...they are just fine and dandy!
Thanks for your post and I look forward to following your blog!

Never So Simple said...

Hi Dan,

I actually clicked on your blog through a link on Tammy's blog. She is a wonderful person and friend. She is the reason I started a blog.

I love your home! It's beautiful! I had to show my daughter she has started collecting camera's and she was ooohing and ahhhing over all of your cameras. I seen so many great collections! I also love your pups!

Is it too late to enter in the give away?

Donna

CareyCottage said...

Dan, I have loaned my sister so much money over the years. I knew she would never be able to repay me, so I called her and told her the cash was a *gift*, no repayment necessary.
I don't care to relish on the negative, it causes too much bitterness and stress.